Recommendation wanted for an Inkbird or Biogreen thermostat

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recommendation wanted for an Inkbird or Biogreen thermostat

Post by Aiko »

You mean 308T?
Looks like that one can control things based on humidity too: "Supporting Temperature and humidity calibration". Almost twice the price, though.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Nope .... S
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I don't see that one on their website.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Not at home so can't check my research .... probably old or discontinued model ... looking like a "back to square one" research situation ..... again
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Andrewb53
BCSS Member
Branch: YORK

Post by Andrewb53 »

According to Amazon.co.uk the "S" version is for both heating and cooling so controls two different devices at the same time. But Aiko is correct it doesn't appear on the Inkbird website.
Andrew
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

The difference between 308 and 308S seems to be only that the 308S has a detachable sensor, whilst the 308 has sensor cable "built in" to the case. The 308S has the option of a 1.97" sensor probe (as on the 308) or a 12" long sensor probe for an extra £5 or so.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Ok - so now I have my Inkbird and my heater and my greenhouse ........... i.e. all of the components in which to move my collection from the conservatory to please Mrs el48tel and score some "brownie points".
But this is my first winter for my collection and I don't want to find mush and slush in March. I have negotiated a compromise with the senior management that a few cacti/succulents will need to remain in the conservatory over winter e.g. schlumbergera .. matucana ... and an opuntia of which she is quite fond.

Now I need advice from more seasoned and experienced hands (I am VERY new at this).
Done the research and got a list of the minimum temperatures to which the various plants can/should be over wintered.
Am energy conscious but am prepared to take a slight hit.
Greenhouse at 53.76N (LEEDS) facing South-east and NE -- a 2.5m high surrounding wall on the NW and SW approx 0.5m from the greenhouse

What has to be next in my decision making process about the temperature at which I should run it and the plants I can risk in it?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Anything above 0C should be fine. Even 0.01C. I always like things between 0C and 5C. I don't need it warmer, just a waist of energy and puts too much strain on the heaters.

Some plants like things warmer, but I don't know if you have any of those. Like Discocactus, Melocactus, some stapeliads, Pilosocereus, Pachypodium and many other caudiciform plants basically. So I would take those inside. They are usually fine in an unheated room, assuming it does not get colder dan around 10C.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

el48tel wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 pm
Done the research and got a list of the minimum temperatures to which the various plants can/should be over wintered.
Sounds awesome, if it's right! Any chance you could share it?
I'd take lists as for guidance only - unless you have consistent opinions from diverse sources, backed up with first hand experience, in Northern European conditions.
Some info on the web is just plain wrong, and some is wrong for the UK - e.g. minimum temperature tolerances may apply for somewhere where winter days are sunny, so overnight frosts are quickly countered by quite high daytime temps, but be inappropriate for the UK's spells of a few days constantly below freezing.
For example I assumed at least a little cold tolerance (and hence killed a couple of plants) based on this : https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126782/, but on further research, this is actually a tropical, fairly low altitude species which would probably be far more at home with a Melocactus collection over winter, rather than on a chilly windowsill.

Conversely, if you believe this: http://euphorbia.de/cultivation.htm most Euphorbias want at least 12deg C over winter, which sounds extremely conservative for many species.
el48tel wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 pm
What has to be next in my decision making process about the temperature at which I should run it and the plants I can risk in it?
There's a lot of chicken and egg in this - if you have collections of Echinocereus triglochidiatus and Escobaria vivipara variants, then don't heat the greenhouse at all.
There is a balance between what you want to put in it and how much you are prepared to heat.
If you trust the relevance of your list of minimum temperatures, you don't need to ask the question for species on your list.
As Aiko says, many species will be OK with frost free, even more will be happy at a minimum of 4 or 5 deg C.
Maybe start a new thread for your question..
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

@esp
For what it's worth my list for my small collection is attached as a XLS file.
My research is based on LLIFLE.COM

Still open to suggestions from anyone about what to do based on their experiences
Attachments
cactus temps.xls
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 131 times