Recommendation wanted for an Inkbird or Biogreen thermostat

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recommendation wanted for an Inkbird or Biogreen thermostat

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 pm Agreed. I have tried mine out ... just sorting out the odd items ... including a slight water ingress then move the collection in. The instructions however are "interesting".
I just got mine in too. Instructions are maybe not that elaborate, so I hope I understand it well enough to have it operate things as I want them to. Settings are a bit different than what I was used to with my old thermostat.

In my old one I just set the minimum temperature for it to operate, and a maximam temperature for it to stop operating. Done. The Inkbird ITC-308 works with temperature difference from a fixed 'starting' temperature. This fixed 'starting' termperature I will probably set at 5.0C, and allow the heating difference for it to be 5.0C too (so the heater starts at 0.0C.

The cooling difference I don't really care (I don't use it when I only want things to protect against frost during winter) but I might also set at 5.0C. The light for the cooling function should light up at 10.0C, but will not do anything if I don't hook up a cooling device on the cooling socket.

So the Inkbird is a bit more complicating to set up compared to my previous thermostat for the simple task I need it to do.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:09 am
el48tel wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 pm Agreed. I have tried mine out ... just sorting out the odd items ... including a slight water ingress then move the collection in. The instructions however are "interesting".
I just got mine in too. Instructions are maybe not that elaborate, so I hope I understand it well enough to have it operate things as I want them to. Settings are a bit different than what I was used to with my old thermostat.

In my old one I just set the minimum temperature for it to operate, and a maximam temperature for it to stop operating. Done. The Inkbird ITC-308 works with temperature difference from a fixed 'starting' temperature. This fixed 'starting' termperature I will probably set at 5.0C, and allow the heating difference for it to be 5.0C too (so the heater starts at 0.0C.

The cooling difference I don't really care (I don't use it when I only want things to protect against frost during winter) but I might also set at 5.0C. The light for the cooling function should light up at 10.0C, but will not do anything if I don't hook up a cooling device on the cooling socket.

So the Inkbird is a bit more complicating to set up compared to my previous thermostat for the simple task I need it to do.
YUP - I did say "interesting"!

To set for 5.5C as I have --- you set the temperature for 6C and the heating differential to 0.5C --- that means that when the temperature falls below 6C by more than 0.5C ---- the heating comes on.

The cooling differential can't be more than 15C --- so in my case the cooling circuit becomes active at 20.5C

I did say "interesting"!!!!!!!!!!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Yes, that differential part, with only 15degrees I don't quite get. Why only a 15 degrees difference...?

Especially if you can set the alarm from -40 minimum to +120 (or so) maximum. And I don't know exactly what the alarm does. It just bleeps, or does it shut things down or turn things on as well?

Oh well, it does what it needs to do, at the looks of it. So I am happy.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:36 pm Yes, that differential part, with only 15degrees I don't quite get. Why only a 15 degrees difference...?

Especially if you can set the alarm from -40 minimum to +120 (or so) maximum. And I don't know exactly what the alarm does. It just bleeps, or does it shut things down or turn things on as well?

Oh well, it does what it needs to do, at the looks of it. So I am happy.
The alarm seems to be exactly as described ... just beeps.

I have the feeling that the unit was designed for brewing or fish tank management. You need very close temperature control for these.

If my newly acquired collection survives the winter months in the greenhouse, I will transfer the fan heater plug to the cooling socket for the summer and adjust the settings accordingly.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 pm I have the feeling that the unit was designed for brewing or fish tank management. You need very close temperature control for these.
Then I might put it to work in the remaining 9 months, when it does not need to keep things frost free, to make illegal hooch to pay for more plants!
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 pm
el48tel wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 pm I have the feeling that the unit was designed for brewing or fish tank management. You need very close temperature control for these.
Then I might put it to work in the remaining 9 months, when it does not need to keep things frost free, to make illegal hooch to pay for more plants!
THAT'S made me chuckle ... perhaps tequila?
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Hi, Just updating this thread to say that the inkbird is now available with wifi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Temper ... r=8-2&th=1

https://inkbird.shop/products/itc-308-wifi

So basically if you have wifi in your greenhouse you'll be able to monitor the greenhouse temperature on your phone.

As far as I can make out you can monitor and change the settings from the phone app.