Correct name for cono?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
conolady
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Correct name for cono?

Post by conolady »

I have a cono labelled C. leopardianum. I'm thinking it should be C.meyeri 'leopardinum'. I tried the IPNI site to no avail. Can anyone help, please?
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Correct name for cono?

Post by Phil_SK »

Try Conophytum leo*
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Thanks, Phil. Great tip! C. leopardinum L. Bolus has come up. I'll Google that....

Edited to add: Uwe Beyer has it listed as C.meyeri "leopardinum", I see.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

No picture but surely would be C. meyeri. Considered a synonym, I don't know whether it has features that meaningfully distinguish it. Hang tight and fingers crossed one of the Conophytum experts will explain all.
Cheshire, UK
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

iann wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:54 pm No picture but surely would be C. meyeri. Considered a synonym, I don't know whether it has features that meaningfully distinguish it. Hang tight and fingers crossed one of the Conophytum experts will explain all.
Thanks, Iann. It is definitely slightly spottier than another one of mine I found, but that is labelled C.meyeri 'leopardinum' as well. I may well decide to apply it to just the spotty one. Very scientific....!
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

leopardinum.....named for it's brown spotted sheaths! Another synonym of meyeri.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

ChrisR wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:07 pm leopardinum.....named for it's brown spotted sheaths! Another synonym of meyeri.
Ah ha! So nothing to do with the spotty bodies... Nevertheless, one of mine is definitely spottier than the other, so I might take the hint! Thanks, Chris.