Pachypodium mikea???

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Pachypodium mikea???

Post by ragamala »

For the special attention of Nick_G, from whom I had a batch of Pachypodium seed which provided excellent germination results.

The strongest of the seedlings I potted up separately (I still have a number of brevicaule/densiflorum /horombense grown mostly together in a tray) surprised me this morning. It is now on a soiuth-facing windowsill having returned from its summer holidays outside.

This I thought unusual with its central vein, and now it has surprised by offering what (if it happens) looks like a flower with external at least red colour). The stem is about 12cm tall.

It's really a very attractive plant, so whatever its true nature (I am not a Pachypodium expert but can't tally this well with descriptions of mikea) I am very grateful to Nick_G for generously sharing his seed.

Alan
P1.jpg
P2.jpg
ragamala
BCSS Member

Re: Pachypodium mikea???

Post by ragamala »

Just for interest - a brevicaule hiding in the tray
p3.jpg
and another I forgot to sow until this year

p4.jpg
and another P. I forgot to label, but a nice plump little plant
p5.jpg
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Is the flower attached to the plant?

Stuart
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

Is it April 1st? Surely this is a rose bud?

Suzanne
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Blush! :oops:

Spot on topsy. And now I have figured out how it happened. I shall burrow back in my hole. Still, it would be good for confirmation that it is mikea, and I still remain grateful to Nick_G.

See you next year when I will find something else to embarrass myself with..
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

My only possible excuse is that I was bamboozled by finding today this Mammillaria berkiana 18 month old seedling pushing out buds.
m1.jpg
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by conolady »

ragamala wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am Blush! :oops:

Spot on topsy. And now I have figured out how it happened. I shall burrow back in my hole. Still, it would be good for confirmation that it is mikea, and I still remain grateful to Nick_G.

See you next year when I will find something else to embarrass myself with..
It looks very like P. geayii to me...
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
Its looks the same as my 2x pachypodium mikea plants.

Lots of pachypodium seem to look very similar, baronii, decaryii and rutenbergianum are the ones that you can differentiate but even then there are two diff baronii
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

It's definitely Pachypodium mikea, trust me. Why do you think it's not?
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

I just read it up and apparently it looks just like geayi apart from the flowers, which are more like lamerei.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...