a few agaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

a few agaves

Post by Colin Walker »

Following on from Liz's post on small agaves, here are some pics of a few of my plants, most of which are far from small.

First off is a view of a corner of our conservatory. Notice how it's not just the floor that houses plants but the windowsills are crammed full of succulents too.

Notice also the virtual absence of plastic pots from the conservatory. Got to maintain my reputation. :lol:

Back left: A. americana 'Mediopicta Alba'. For a variegate this is relatively slow growing. It's just been repotted.
Back right: A. filifera x mitis.
Front from left to right:
A. panamana, A desmetiana, A. lophantha 'Quadricolor' and A. victoriae-reginae.

Aloe erinacea has sneaked in at the very front.

A. panamana is an ISI collection grown from a bulbil. This is a tropical sp. that is very frost sensitive.

IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_0890.JPG (177.2 KiB) Viewed 957 times
This is a closer view of A. filifera x mitis. This is one of my largest agaves at around 60 cm across and far too heavy to move to the show bench, especially since it's in a rather nice but very heavy black glazed pot.

IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG (121.75 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Here is A. ghiesbreghtii only acquired this year at the Scottish Zone Show auction just to show Liz what this sp. should look like.

IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG (193.59 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Finally is a plant I acquired a few years back as an unnamed sp. which I also now believe is A. ghiesbreghtii.

IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG (194.67 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: a few agaves

Post by Tony R »

A most attractive corner of plants, Colin, beautifully displayed (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tony R wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:04 pm A most attractive corner of plants, Colin, beautifully displayed (tu)
Thanks Tony. The rest of the conservatory looks equally good, though I say so myself :grin:

The greenhouse plants have fewer nice pots, but a good percentage of the agaves at least are in attractive containers. The cacti though don't deserve more than plastic. :shock:

I'll also not mention the current state of my modest Gasteria collection. :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Mind your step in there...!

"Man found impaled on prickly plant", says the headline on the front page of the local news paper.