Fouquieria.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Fouquieria.

Post by Paul in Essex »

I came across Fouqueria formosa in the little botanic gardens at Zapotitlan Salinas in the Tehuacan Valley, Mexico. Very attractive bark - you just had to rub it!
fouqform2.jpg
fouqform1.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Lovely, but I don’t think I will be able to get one of those in my greenhouse 😂
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

My Fouquieria diguetii flowered last year, as in this thread. It did a repeat this year probably a few more flowers.
Fouquieria_.JPG
33cm or so - including the flowers.
Fd.JPG
I do have a F. splendens, it's only about 22cm tall, but the label doesn't have the date of sowing, so not sure how old it is. I'm sure it's as bonsai'd as the diguetii.
In contrast, here are some growing in much favourable conditions than my windowsill - Arizona. i didn't measure, but definitely more than 33cm
IMG_3993r.JPG
IMG_3991r.JPG
IMG_3976r.JPG
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Nice! As you say they can get very tall!
I read a paper somewhere on the internet about flowering ocotillo, when I was trying to work out what height it might have to be to flower. see https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/59 ... b_contents Unfortunately once it reaches flowering size it starts branching at the base and rapidly becomes a hazard in the greenhouse :shock: I expect you could prune out the longest shoots to the base to keep the overall height down.
I got rid of my large plant as it just got too big and prickly, and started again with a seedling.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Just measured my 2 year old seedling: 52cm, so quite rapid growth if you don’t want a bonsai!!
Alanjames
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Alanjames »

I have 6 Forquireia Splendens plants which i have grown from seed planted 8 months ago and they vary in hight from 5 to 16 inchs tall i will keep 2 and the rest i am willing to swap for others in this family group i have already got 2 large F. Diquetii and 2 large F. Macdougalii all grown from seed plus 1 cutting of F. Diquetii. I would like to add photos of these but do not know how to do it as im not into this modern computer age.