Uploading Photos

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
agavemad
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Uploading Photos

Post by agavemad »

I am having issues uploading photographs. I have shrunk the size but still keep getting error message. Any help would be much appreciated

Error

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Re: Uploading Photos

Post by habanerocat »

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do......

But if you try saving it to your PC first, rather than uploading it directly from a URL, hopefully would give more success.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I would agree with @habanerocat
Load to PC (or MAC etc)
Change orientation of the image (so that "top" is top because some cellphones and cameras can't cope with that)
Crop / adjust PP settings
Re-size to 2Mb max .... 2000px on the long side
"Save As" to a suitable folder (I have one for BCSS .... ones for my other forum posts)
Upload from that folder (if space is at a premium, you can always delete it later)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

The photo's are all on my PC that's why I do not understand the error message. I have reduced the images down to (640x480).jpg and 352KB if that helps? do they need to be smaller?
Thanks for your help
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

agavemad wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:39 pm The photo's are all on my PC that's why I do not understand the error message. I have reduced the images down to (640x480).jpg and 352KB if that helps? do they need to be smaller?
Thanks for your help
No .... 2000 pixels on the longest side OR about 2Mb max should be OK for most forums
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

el48tel wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:19 pm
agavemad wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:39 pm The photo's are all on my PC that's why I do not understand the error message. I have reduced the images down to (640x480).jpg and 352KB if that helps? do they need to be smaller?
Thanks for your help
No .... 2000 pixels on the longest side OR about 2Mb max should be OK for most forums
Added later ....... a thought .......... if they are on your PC .... the image is saved AND closed .... sometimes if the image is open in a processing App the file might not be fully written to the disc and an open file can be misread
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

There has been numerous threads on this problem before. But note, the site has been changed recently to make posting larger sized photos easier, so I'm surprised you're having problems.

All I can say is I use IrfanView (free download) and limit the sizes to roughly what you state above, and I've never had a problem.
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

I have now tried taking the images from the folder they are in and placing them on the desktop, to upload from there without having to go in to the folder. I am still getting the same error message. I have absolutely no Idea what I am doing wrong. I have added photo's to the site in the past and its been pretty easy. I will try again later, maybe restart PC and see what happens then.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

agavemad wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:56 am I have now tried taking the images from the folder they are in and placing them on the desktop, to upload from there without having to go in to the folder. I am still getting the same error message. I have absolutely no Idea what I am doing wrong. I have added photo's to the site in the past and its been pretty easy. I will try again later, maybe restart PC and see what happens then.

Try just dragging an image from your Desktop into this text input area. Like I have done with this one and then placed inline.

schuldtianus.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

habanerocat wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 pm ................ I use IrfanView (free download) and limit the sizes to roughly what you state above, and I've never had a problem.
I have a friend who swears by this App for the most mundane tasks .......... and it always performs well.