Confused About Name

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Andrewb53
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Confused About Name

Post by Andrewb53 »

In my membership pack I received a packet of seeds marked "Gymnocalycium v, albertovojtechii KBA22A". I decided to look up the species on the internet but couldn't find anything to match. There were plentyof results for "Lophophora alberto-vojtechii". Is this an alternative name or are the seeds wrongly labelled? As a new comer to cacti and succulents I'm finding all the names to the plants a bit confusing. Obviously a lot of information to get my head around.

:???: :???:
Andrew
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Confused About Name

Post by Aiko »

There's a Gymnocalycium glaucum subsp. albertovojtechii.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

I presume these are surplus from the 2017-2018 seed list
http://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/seed-list.html

Item 95 Gymnocalycium glaucum subsp. albertovojtechii KBA57 A (Cordobita Ruta 60, La Rioja, Arg)

However, note

Item 99 Gymnocalycium prochazkianum subsp. simile f. nova KBA22 A (Cerro Horgueta, Córdoba, Arg)

Your label has the name of one and the ref. no. of the other?
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Andrewb53
BCSS Member
Branch: YORK

Post by Andrewb53 »

Tony R wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:54 am
Item 95 Gymnocalycium glaucum subsp. albertovojtechii KBA57 A (Cordobita Ruta 60, La Rioja, Arg)

However, note

Item 99 Gymnocalycium prochazkianum subsp. simile f. nova KBA22 A (Cerro Horgueta, Córdoba, Arg)

Your label has the name of one and the ref. no. of the other?
Thank you Tony, thankyou Aiko. I checked the label and realised I had omitted the "glaucum" when I copied the name from the label. However it still has "KBA22A" as a suffix. So, lesson learned is the same as when cutting wood, measure twice cut once! I found it here: http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-2604575 when doing a google search where it says (on another page) Gymnocalycium glaucum subsp. albertovojtechii is a synonym of Gymnocalycium mucidum.
Andrew