Please can I see photos of your DIY staging?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Please can I see photos of your DIY staging?

Post by Jim_Mercer »

The slats are held in place by dowels, all home made to maximise number of plants in 8x6 greenhouse

web-0637.jpg
aloedanielo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by aloedanielo »

phil wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm Here are some pics of my staging.
Wow Phil! Your greenhouse is what dreams are made of!

I'm erring towards going for two wests aluminium staging now. Once I add up all the materials needed to make my own, it's not far off the cost of buying some anyway. My only concern would be the metal bowing as a few of you have mentioned.

I've noticed not all of your have potting benches. Where do you pot up plants if not in your GH?
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

I wouldn’t want to waste greenhouse space with a potting bench. I fortunately have an adjacent garage, in which I do all of my potting and store compost, pots etc. If I didn’t have this facility I would have a collapsible table outside.
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

I used to use the greenhouse for potting, too, but it's such a waste of good growing space, so I've a bench in the fortunately nearby shed that I use. Works well and I can keep all the substrates and pots in a sort of shelving unit next to me there.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

I saw the original post when it came out but didn't have the daylight to photograph.

What you have described is what I have done to my 6 x 14 Elite High Eaves greenhouse - great minds must think alike. I built a custom 3ft staging on one side, cut the corner off to allow for access where it obscures the door and left a 2ft space at the other end of the staging, again with the corner cut off. It is fixed to the greenhouse side but I don't put very heavy pots on, nor do I stand on it or use bubble wrap or shading netting. The wood + paint cost me just shy of £150 sourced from a builders merchant which is far cheaper than proprietary staging. I don't wet the floor as I use the absorption method for watering and large black trays and saucers on the staging.

Above the staging I put a 10" wide wood shelf. At the back, a 6" aluminium shelf and netting for Cyphostemma vines to climb up. On the other long side is 19" proprietary aluminium staging which allows some tallish plants to live underneath. Above that, a 6" aluminium shelf for part of the length so tall plants can also stand on the staging. Underneath the aluminium staging is a 10" wooden shelf that will be used to create 2 shelves suspended from the eaves, one on each side for the full length. That should maximise the space apart from a smaller shelf high up on the back above the other shelf.

I've tried to include as many photos as possible. If you decide to go this way then PM me and I'll provide more detail. Good luck.

From the front.
IMG_4813[1].JPG
IMG_4810[1].JPG
From the back.
IMG_4815[1].JPG
IMG_4819[1].JPG
IMG_4816[1].JPG
Detail of the rear cutout.
IMG_4820[1].JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Detail of the aluminium staging.
IMG_4826[1].JPG
IMG_4828[1].JPG
Detail of the front cutout.
IMG_4830[1].JPG
Outside photo from the wooden staging side.
IMG_4833[1].JPG
Another photo of the back end of the staging.
IMG_4835[1].JPG
Hope that helps you make your mind up.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Here are two shots taken five years ago when I re homed my plants from my Father's greenhouse.
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4178.JPG
The floor of the greenhouse is insulated and has a membrane to keep out damp rising from the earth which will have helped keep the wood in good shape, today it is as good as it was when I built it.
I must add that the bench tops were covered with plastic grow bag trays as I sorted out the plants and re potted them over the first winter.
I would try to get some shots of the staging as it is now but the greenhouse is packed with overwintering outdoor potted plants and insulated with bubble wrap which makes taking pictures from outside impossible.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554