CactusWorld

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

CactusWorld

Post by iann »

It arrived today. New packaging. Seems earlier than recent years. Haven't read it yet, nice picture on the front. Seed list is included - it struck me that a lot of the names were quite fanciful, even more so than usual.

Incidentally, CactusWorld was "featured" on a topical panel show called Have I got News for You last week. There is a section where they ask the panellists to fill in the blanks in quotes from relatively obscure hobby magazines. I suspect some of the quotes were slightly doctored for effect, they just didn't sound very likely to me.
Cheshire, UK
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Re: CactusWorld

Post by conolady »

I wish mine had arrived! Curses! I want to order some seed...
Last edited by conolady on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

iann wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:44 pm It arrived today. New packaging. Seems earlier than recent years. Haven't read it yet, nice picture on the front. Seed list is included - it struck me that a lot of the names were quite fanciful, even more so than usual.

Incidentally, CactusWorld was "featured" on a topical panel show called Have I got News for You last week. There is a section where they ask the panellists to fill in the blanks in quotes from relatively obscure hobby magazines. I suspect some of the quotes were slightly doctored for effect, they just didn't sound very likely to me.
Programme used to be good but is now merely a platform for B-list celebs trying not to drop out of the limelight. The Cactus World (few milliseconds) section did us no favours nor made any sense
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Anyone without their CactusWorld can at least start to browse the seed list at http://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/se ... -2019.html. I visited hoping there might be the promised "Further information and habitat details", since so few items carry field numbers while so many carry other field data that I felt sure they must've been shorn of these to make them fit. Regrettably, the list carries identical information to that on the paper form. It's a shame if there are details lost: the policy of publishing an amplified listing from 2008 to 2014 was a great idea and I'm sorry that it hasn't continued and that each of those webpages has been scrapped too, with just a pdf of the old paper list in its place.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Ian Thwaites »

Just to respond to the comment about CactusWorld and have I got news for you. This didn't just happen and a lot of work was done to ensure we got featured. It was effectively a free advert at prime time BBC TV that let everyone know there is a cactus publication in the UK. It reached 6 million people in the first night and rose to 10 million in the first week and will grow by a further 15 million with repeats and appearances on Dave for the next few years.

The production company "ensure that the guest publication is treated with respect" and you will notice there were no negative society comments in the show so the approach I think we need is to laugh along with them.

So what was the outcome - we have had quite a few new members join as a result of the broadcast and the membership secretary said that he couldn't understand why people started joining on friday evening after 10pm. He knows now! As I have always said - I intend to grow the society and raising our profile is a good way to start.

If you didn't see it its still on iplayer and is about 25 minutes in.
Ian Thwaites
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Phil_SK wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 pm Anyone without their CactusWorld can at least start to browse the seed list at http://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/se ... -2019.html. I visited hoping there might be the promised "Further information and habitat details", since so few items carry field numbers while so many carry other field data that I felt sure they must've been shorn of these to make them fit. Regrettably, the list carries identical information to that on the paper form. It's a shame if there are details lost: the policy of publishing an amplified listing from 2008 to 2014 was a great idea and I'm sorry that it hasn't continued and that each of those webpages has been scrapped too, with just a pdf of the old paper list in its place.
Thanks so much for this. It's a huge help to be able to print this off and order. I agree with your sentiments re field data. It's a shame.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I thought " In my greenhouse " this month was very good, and another good issue of the journal which is worth the membership fee alone,

Without all the other benefits like this forum, seeds list, branch meetings, plant sales etc.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

conolady wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm
Phil_SK wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 pm Anyone without their CactusWorld can at least start to browse the seed list at http://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/se ... -2019.html. I visited hoping there might be the promised "Further information and habitat details", since so few items carry field numbers while so many carry other field data that I felt sure they must've been shorn of these to make them fit. Regrettably, the list carries identical information to that on the paper form. It's a shame if there are details lost: the policy of publishing an amplified listing from 2008 to 2014 was a great idea and I'm sorry that it hasn't continued and that each of those webpages has been scrapped too, with just a pdf of the old paper list in its place.
Thanks so much for this. It's a huge help to be able to print this off and order. I agree with your sentiments re field data. It's a shame.
The field numbers might be on the packets of seed.

Doesn't help of course if you are trying to pick a particular field number to buy.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Well done Ian, I'd heard Cactus World was going to have its bit on HIGNFY and thought you'd probably be behind it.

Stuart
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Why an obsession with field numbers? The locality is far more important and in many instances, a whole plethora of numbers apply to the same population.