CactusWorld

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: CactusWorld

Post by Chez2 »

Ian Thwaites wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:32 pm Just to respond to the comment about CactusWorld and have I got news for you. This didn't just happen and a lot of work was done to ensure we got featured. It was effectively a free advert at prime time BBC TV that let everyone know there is a cactus publication in the UK. It reached 6 million people in the first night and rose to 10 million in the first week and will grow by a further 15 million with repeats and appearances on Dave for the next few years.

The production company "ensure that the guest publication is treated with respect" and you will notice there were no negative society comments in the show so the approach I think we need is to laugh along with them.

So what was the outcome - we have had quite a few new members join as a result of the broadcast and the membership secretary said that he couldn't understand why people started joining on friday evening after 10pm. He knows now! As I have always said - I intend to grow the society and raising our profile is a good way to start.

If you didn't see it its still on iplayer and is about 25 minutes in.
That was very clever marketing Ian. Out of interest, how many people joined?
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Can someone tell me how the applications for seed are prioritised? I can see that some seed may sell out quickly and if some people don't yet have their magazine and/or haven't seen the list on the forum or are away for a few days etc they well miss out. Plus, of course, members from abroad...Is it first come first served or does a week or so elapse before every application is 'put into a hat'?
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Ian Thwaites wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:32 pm Just to respond to the comment about CactusWorld and have I got news for you. This didn't just happen and a lot of work was done to ensure we got featured. It was effectively a free advert at prime time BBC TV that let everyone know there is a cactus publication in the UK. It reached 6 million people in the first night and rose to 10 million in the first week and will grow by a further 15 million with repeats and appearances on Dave for the next few years.

The production company "ensure that the guest publication is treated with respect" and you will notice there were no negative society comments in the show so the approach I think we need is to laugh along with them.

So what was the outcome - we have had quite a few new members join as a result of the broadcast and the membership secretary said that he couldn't understand why people started joining on friday evening after 10pm. He knows now! As I have always said - I intend to grow the society and raising our profile is a good way to start.

Thank you for the background on that Ian, I did post on the subject early on the Saturday morning having watched the show on iplayer. For years I have watched HIGNFY and marvelled at the diverse publications they feature, may I thank you and the team once again for making it happen.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:42 am Why an obsession with field numbers? The locality is far more important and in many instances, a whole plethora of numbers apply to the same population.
I personally regard them as synonyms,but both have their own small pros and cons.

The down side with the locality numbers is that it is easy to make a mistake. So I can't judge fully if the number is okay or there was a typing mistake. With habitat names it is easier for me to spot a mistake. And I do see typing errors every now and then, which makes me wonder how accurate the locality numbers would be.

Locality names are for the same reason easier to remember, and it might give one a more clear picture where in the world the plants actual grow ("Viesca, Coahuila" give you a better map visual than "SB1060"). Locality numbers are rather abstract.

Good thing the succulent databases are there to check up on locality numbers, though. If a number can be found in there (sadly, not always), you can at least check if the species name (and possible additional locality names given) are corresponding. But I prefer to see them both...
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Ian Thwaites »

Chez2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 am

That was very clever marketing Ian. Out of interest, how many people joined?
I think so far about a dozen people have joined so thats nice. Its a dozen that we wouldn't have had otherwise. And its going to be around for years on Dave too :-)
Ian Thwaites
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

My copy arrived yesterday and after an initial browse through I look forward to another good read. Nice to see some articles by members of this forum. Well done everyone.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

Still waiting for mine in Sweden, but I hope it’s on its way. I was one of the people who had their copy sent to the old address last time.

Is it worth buying seed to raise in Sweden, or do you think I’d be better off sticking to plants? I haven’t propagator or greenhouse now, and I’m unlikely to buy either before spring. However, our living room never goes below 18 and is often over 23 during the day as my mother in law lives with and likes to be warm. I have a south facing window sill, but it’s triple glazed. My remaining mature plants have cool bedrooms to over winter in, and go out in a south facing patio in summer.

Thanks for any advice

Heather
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
Torbjorn
BCSS Member

Post by Torbjorn »

Hedge wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm Still waiting for mine in Sweden, but I hope it’s on its way. I was one of the people who had their copy sent to the old address last time.

Is it worth buying seed to raise in Sweden, or do you think I’d be better off sticking to plants? I haven’t propagator or greenhouse now, and I’m unlikely to buy either before spring. However, our living room never goes below 18 and is often over 23 during the day as my mother in law lives with and likes to be warm. I have a south facing window sill, but it’s triple glazed. My remaining mature plants have cool bedrooms to over winter in, and go out in a south facing patio in summer.

Thanks for any advice

Heather
I recieved my copy in Stockholm, Sweden yesterday, so no big delay.
Of course it is worth buying suckulent seed to grow in Sweden. Some extra LED lamps, and you are in buissness. Buying plants in Sweden is, as you might have noticed, not very easy. We have mainly one comercial grower, so I get most plants from "cactus buying trips", or from internet.
Torbjörn
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

Thanks Torbjörn
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

Hello all,

This is the first time that I will order seeds from the BCSS, even if I still didn't receive the journal. Anyway, I can read in the online seed list order form that payment with Paypal for abroad members is possible:
Payment may be made via PayPal using the link from the BCSS website: http://www.bcss.org.uk
However, I can't find in http://www.bcss.org.uk the BCSS Paypal account to use to pay my seeds. Can anybody help me and tell me which email address I must use to pay the seeds?

Moreover, should I wait the BCSS confirmation that the seeds I have chosen are still available to pay them or should I pay first even if some seeds may be out of stock?

Thank you for your help.