More sloppy journalism

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

More sloppy journalism

Post by Cidermanrolls »

The “Chief horticultural advisor” for the RHS, Guy Barter, has a column in the “i” newspaper today.
In his column he gives advice on Christmas cacti and claims the main picture shows Schlumbergera truncata and S. x buckleyi.
Urm......I don’t think much of his ability to identify plants, or maybe it was just a hopeless and hapless sub-editor.
The picture, for the millions who don’t buy this paper, shows Mammilllarias, Astrophytums, Rebutias, Chamaecereus etc. I think you get the picture, not an epiphyte in sight.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: More sloppy journalism

Post by Aiko »

Could also have been a layout mistake, where the wrong picture was selected.
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

Writers are unlikely to select the pictures for their articles. I think a lot of the mistakes happen when common names were used in searching for stock photos. I've seen articles about Begonias illustrated with a picture of a Saxifraga stolonifera plant, which has strawberry begonia as one of its common names, or articles about carnivorous plants with a picture of an aroid which is also called a cobra lily, etc.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Yes, most likely post production. A couple of years back I was fortunate enough to have Gardeners' World film here one day but had to leave before they had finished. They asked me to name and point out stuff to film close ups of and I showed them, amongst others, a nice Soehrensia bruchii. When the film was broadcast they showed a nice close up of a Trichocereus terscheckii with the name Soehrensia bruchii popping up on the screen.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.