Cactus seed payment

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Cactus seed payment

Post by JohnE »

There are lots of good points and ideas in this thread but, come on, we're talking about 30p packets of seed - not nuclear Armageddon! Seven pages of posts...! I'm not sowing seed any more, but when I did I was just glad for what I did get (including the "reserves"). I never felt cheated that someone else might have snook in and robbed me of some better ones.

Give Ian a chance to get the ludicrously overdue and phenomenally expensive website up and running, hopefully incorporating some of the ideas in this thread, as well as bringing the content up to date, then see if it meets your needs. Hopefully the new site will also fix the problem of missing info such as field collection data and exactly how payment systems are to be used, but until it's online everything is just speculation.

Happy New Year.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Happy new year and nicely said John E
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

JohnE wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:17 pm come on, we're talking about 30p packets of seed - not nuclear Armageddon! Seven pages of posts...!
Fair comment. But seed is cheap if it has good viability. It is a comparative thing.

Frankly I am amazed that the seed pool run by Chris43 is not apparently more widely used. The germination in my experience from this free seed is better than most commercial sources and far better than my results with the annual BCSS offering. Why not give consideration to the DKG's system. Enabling members to become involved by contributing as well as just being consumers?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Enabling members to become involved by contributing as well as just being consumers?
what are you on about now, read your journal and it mentions you can contribute seed to the BCSS offering, you do have to have a certain amount of clean seed but no one is excluded.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Tina wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:35 pm
Enabling members to become involved by contributing as well as just being consumers?
what are you on about now, read your journal and it mentions you can contribute seed to the BCSS offering, you do have to have a certain amount of clean seed but no one is excluded.
As long as you aren’t contributing seed of Astrophytum caput-medusae or anything else that contravenes Mexican laws
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Tina wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:35 pm
I am fully aware of the journal's content, thanks.

What I am also aware of is the conflicting suggestion we might contribute seed to the seed pool, or the BCSS, or the recent initiative which invited contribution to seed which would be distributed amongst southern England branches.

Let's get a coherent policy together.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Ragamala: I produce seed from my plants and I am free to give it to whoever I wish. Don't forget that the BCSS is likely to need 500+ seeds, so smaller amounts need different outlets.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:44 am Ragamala: I produce seed from my plants and I am free to give it to whoever I wish. Don't forget that the BCSS is likely to need 500+ seeds, so smaller amounts need different outlets.
Of course Terry, and this year you have been exceptionally generous. Or maybe I should qualify that by sayingthis year is no different to many many gone by where you have contributed immensely, one way or another. I appreciate the point re quantity, but if the Germans can manage, so could we? It may be heresy to say so, but if we concentrated a little less on plant pedigree, collection numbers and locations, and grew our plants for their intrinsic beauty we might find bundling of contributors' offerings making up numbers.

Just a thought. As always, willing (and expect) to be shot down.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Terry S. wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:44 am Ragamala: I produce seed from my plants and I am free to give it to whoever I wish. Don't forget that the BCSS is likely to need 500+ seeds, so smaller amounts need different outlets.
It is very good of you Terry to give your seed to anyone; you could easily sell it for a considerable profit! This just reinforces my previous point about good will, the BCSS functions on the good will and dedication of many people, from national level to speakers, judges and local branches. Once people are upset by discourtesy or just being expected to do too much, then they will 'throw in the towel' and the society will be the loser. I'm just reinforcing a general point here and not aiming at anyone in particular.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias