Christmas Conophytum

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Christmas Conophytum

Post by cactuspip »

I don't have a Christmas Cactus, but this Conophytum always flowers for me at this time of year.

I'm sure it is nowhere near as popular.

It is C. Smorenskaduense from Smorgenskadu Farm.
Attachments
C. Smorenskaduense (3).JPG
C. Smorenskaduense (2).JPG
C. Smorenskaduense (1).JPG
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Christmas Conophytum

Post by Tony R »

Very Christmassy and choice, Philip. (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

That's beautiful. Nearly pretty enough to take my mind off Crimbo...sigh.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

It's done you proud
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Terrific.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

My C. smorenskaduense used to flower at Christmas but now their flowering time is more like November. It is worth pointing out that the flowers are not being produced by the heads you can see in the photos, but by next year's heads which are still small and buried in the centre of the visible heads. It only grows in the wild on one narrow quartz ridge where there are (or were in 1987!!!) quite a few plants. The wild ones are nearly all single heads, so Pip's photo shows how the plants can revel in cultivation conditions.

Over the years, I have distributed very little seed or plants of this species. It grows too slowly to take cuttings and seed does not seem to set well at this time of year. Also, where are its sexy bits? You can see that the centre of the flowers is crowded with short yellow staminodes which completely obscure them down in the tube. So if you have two plants Pip, get tickling or perhaps more accurately use an opuntia spine to try and transfer pollen..
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

They do cluster in habitat Terry......these from September 2014. I've had a similar experience that my long-cultivated plants seem to flower anytime they please now, from November right through to February.

DSCN4318.JPG
DSCN4316.JPG
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Interesting to see the plants flowering on Smorgenskadu in spring rather than mid-winter. We did find one 4-headed plant on our visit, but the vast majority were singles. Sometimes during a long period of drought, many plants in a population can be eliminated. If you then see it after regeneration from the seed pool in the ground, it is possible to get a false impression about the plants.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

Unfortunately I only have the one plant.

It was obtained from Chris Rodgerson in 2000. My records show a collection number - SB633