Two questions about a Mamm(?)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Two questions about a Mamm(?)

Post by el48tel »

DSCN2271.jpg
First question - I am I right in thinking that this is a mamm? If so, which?
Second question - this plant was a present from my four year old granddaughter who found it in a well-known discount store. It arrived on Boxing Day adorned with a Santa hat which had been attached by means of a wooden toothpick. Whilst having great admiration for Vlad III and his way of dealing with people who disrespected him, I felt that the plant needed a tad more. I removed the toothpick which had been close to, but not in, the growing point. Does it need any "sticking plaster/BandAid"? I don't want to consign it to the recycle bin for obvious reasons, but does it stand a chance of survival?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Two questions about a Mamm(?)

Post by rodsmith »

It is a mamillaria but I'm not sure which one. The plant should recover from its injury without any input from you. Just keep the plant unwatered until late March/early April and give normal treatment from then on. The injury will callous over and will eventually end up at or near soil level as the plant puts on growth.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Kees
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Kees »

I usually desinfect with cold ashes. Cigarette or cigar if available as they are finer, if not wood ashes. Dust over the injury generously.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Rod - thanks - will do
Kees - thanks - will burn some wood especially
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.