Western Cape in late April...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Western Cape in late April...

Post by Mike »

Greetings all!

After many years of dreaming, at the end of April I expect to be travelling to Namibia via Cape Town for a botanical ‘expedition’ mostly in the north of Namibia. I may have a few days I can spend at the end of April in the Western Cape. I was wondering whether anyone might be able to advise me if there are any places particularly worthy of a visit at that time (apart from Kirstenbosch of course) ?

With thanks for any advice.
Mike Read
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Western Cape in late April...

Post by Aiko »

I personally would visit the habitat of Welwitschia mirabilis.
Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Mike »

That's what I'll be doing in Namibia, Aiko!
But as I have to change planes in South Africa, I want to make the most of that opportunity as well.
Mike
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Ah, I see, you are looking for highlights specifically around Capetown.

Are you into bulbs? The area of Bredasdorp (too far away?) or Worcester should provide some Massonias. They should be active and above the soil by April.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You could drive up onto the Knersvlakte if you are willing to take a few hours drive from Cape Town. The argyrodermas will be starting to flower then and the flora is more varied than anywhere you might go in Namibia.

The area around Cape Town is too wet for many succulents to grow there, so you need to get east into the Little Karoo or as far north as Citrusdal to start seeing more xerophytic plants.
Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Mike »

Thanks Aiko and Terry

Most certainly into bulbs! I have a flowering Massonia jasminiflora in front of me right now, and a Veltheimia in the office that's about to open the first ghostly pale pink flowers.

Judging by Google maps Bredasdorp is about 2 hours by car from Cape Town, and Worcester just over an hour. Do you think Massonias might be easy to find, or would I need some locality data, Aiko?

Citrusdal would also be just over two hours which would also be manageable. Any advice on where I might look there, Terry?

Many thanks for your advice. I've been growing these plants for many years, but this will be my first, and much anticipated trip into natural habitats.

A successful 2019 to all!

Mike
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Bredasdorp and Worcester are in the middle of farm land, so prior knowledge of the good bits is probably a necessity. Once you get as far north as Citrusdal then travel any side roads and there should be plants to see. A trip over the Pakhuis Pass from Clanwilliam is nice too. At that time of year, it is mainly the amaryllids that you are likely to see from the geophytic flora, probably too early for any massonias or polyxenas to be in flower.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

In general, April is not the best time of year to go plant hunting around CT. Many will not have revived after the long summer drought, but there are always some plants of interest to find. Bulbs are not much fun without flowers.

Kirstenbosch - yes!

A day pottering around in the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve would be a good introduction to the richness of Fynbos vegetation. Look on rocky places for the small selection of succulents. It is part of the Table Mountain National Park: https://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mo ... ctions.php

Where do you expect to stay ? For succulents, you really need to get inland into the rain-shadows behind the mountain ranges. If you are prepared to hire a car, I would get away from CT and stay at Clanwilliam, Worcester or even Laingsburg. How many days will you have?

With luck, you will find enough to convince yourself that you should have another trip in the South African spring!
Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I have just checked notes from a cono hunt that Jen and I made to the Western Cape in 16th - 30th April 1999. We saw lots of amaryllids in flower: Haemanthus, Brunsvigia, Strumaria, etc. plus Empodium, Syringodea and various Oxalis. Possible highlights were a field of Brunsvigia bosmaniae near the Klawer/N7 junction and the wealth of sweet-smelling Crinum variabile at the Nieuwoudtville waterfall.