Sowing cactus seeds: best time?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sowing cactus seeds: best time?

Post by SpikyMike »

Hi. Have just ordered a heap of cactus seed packets through the BCSS Seed List (...fingers crossed still some left!...). Was given an electronic propagator for Christmas. Wondering when people would say is best time to sow (am in the UK). Thanks!
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Re: Sowing cactus seeds: best time?

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Have you got the society seed raising guide? There is a link to it on this page http://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.ph ... tion1.html Even in a heated propagator the guide suggests now is too soon too sow (wait till next month)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Like SpikyMike I find the information in not just the BCSS sheets but also the sheets from seed sellers and other forums and sites .... plainly conflicting. Talk to pro or semi-pro growers and get as many answers. All conflicting.
The get out clause is ... it works for me .... or .... if it works for you.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

I think no matter what method you use, keeping the soil sterile is key. Once the mould starts it can be very difficult to get rid of.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I only raise South African succulents these days, but I used to raise cacti. To answer the original question, I would say from about mid-February onwards if you are not using any artificial lighting. With lights it could be earlier.

As Indicated by another contributor, everyone has their own and often different methods. I would not use any plastic bags if using a closed propagator. For my SA seeds, I use a sowing medium of 1:1 Clover John Innes seed compost and fine grit without any further sterilisation.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I have just found the instructions that Ray Allcock used to provide with the packets of seed he sold,
Growing Cacti from Seed.pdf
(255.06 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

habanerocat wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 am I think no matter what method you use, keeping the soil sterile is key. Once the mould starts it can be very difficult to get rid of.
Yet another superb example of conflict of thoughts.
Some growers argue that a sterile growing medium will lose the bad AND good bacteria by such.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm I have just found the instructions that Ray Allcock used to provide with the packets of seed he sold, Growing Cacti from Seed.pdf
An excellent summary of the concensus but omits reference to the more contentious issues such as time (winter etc or not) temperature (heater or not) and light (propagator lights)
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:02 pm I only raise South African succulents these days, but I used to raise cacti. To answer the original question, I would say from about mid-February onwards if you are not using any artificial lighting. With lights it could be earlier.

As Indicated by another contributor, everyone has their own and often different methods. I would not use any plastic bags if using a closed propagator. For my SA seeds, I use a sowing medium of 1:1 Clover John Innes seed compost and fine grit without any further sterilisation.
Thanks for the comments which hit the spot exactly.
I will follow this.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:36 pm
Jim_Mercer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm I have just found the instructions that Ray Allcock used to provide with the packets of seed he sold, Growing Cacti from Seed.pdf
An excellent summary of the concensus but omits reference to the more contentious issues such as time (winter etc or not) temperature (heater or not) and light (propagator lights)
It does cover temperature
sedd temp.JPG
I cannot remember seeing any lights in Ray's greenhouses but he did use soil warming cables to make a large propagator I might have a picture - will have a look....