Hooray and thanks!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hooray and thanks!

Post by Tony R »

Since you are supposed to use the order form you received with your journal, I think this implies you should only send in one order and, as stated on the form, up to 2 packets per item.

PS Unlike some of you, I did not send my form back on the day I received it, a job to do over Christmas for me ... and I shall be quite happy with whatever seeds I eventually receive later this month, ready for sowing in early March (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by el48tel »

Tony R wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 pm Since you are supposed to use the order form you received with your journal, I think this implies you should only send in one order and, as stated on the form, up to 2 packets per item.

PS Unlike some of you, I did not send my form back on the day I received it, a job to do over Christmas for me ... and I shall be quite happy with whatever seeds I eventually receive later this month, ready for sowing in early March (tu)
Tony --- I KNOW that the implication is "one member one order" -- but there's a whole wide difference between "knowing" and and having it spelled out in the rubric ---- but there's another side to my reasoning ---- if the seeds are lingering unused in a "bank" they could be put to some use. Making a few £ for the BCSS; encouraging new members to grow them; encouraging older members to get out into the community to get children to grow them; etc
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Cidermanrolls »

My order was sent in quite late, I was out of the country on business for the first half of December.
I received everything I ordered in the post today.
Sowing for me will be be next week as I’m talking Mrs T away for the weekend, using some of those hotel loyalty points my work travels bring my way....
Thanks all
Andrewb53
BCSS Member
Branch: WOKING

Post by Andrewb53 »

My seed order arrived yesterday. Magazine was received mid December and order form posted in the same week. Everything requested was received. Planning the first sowings tomorrow.
Andrew
Phil_SK
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 pm if the seeds are lingering unused in a "bank" they could be put to some use.
They don't linger for long as they're used to form part of the welcome pack for new members. I know that the membership secretary pretty much used up all of the seeds available from the previous year's seed list in this way by late 2018.
Have you considered exploring one of the commercial sources of seed?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by ragamala »

Tony R wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 pm Unlike some of you, I did not send my form back on the day I received it.
Unlike you, Tony, I did, so my order should have been received on 13th Dec by 1st class mail. Still no package in my mail, so congratulations to those who have received their wishes. My fingers remain crossed.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Seeds on Amazon are about £10 to £12 a packet and generally don't sound as good as those the BCSS offers for a mere 30p - the BCSS seed usually has some data whilst the Amazon seed photos seen recently include spray-painted Haworthias and a Cotyledon with photoshopped blue leaves. The BCSS are doing a remarkable job behind the scenes with the seed offering this year.

Stuart
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Stuart
There is a long lived chain on here regarding updated seed lists. Check it out. Many very good commercial suppliers offer seeds for less than £1 a packet. I’ve had very good results from Piltz. Others will have their own favourites.
Amazon and eBay are not a good place to look for cheap or reliable seed. You may be lucky but you will be looking for the proverbial needle.
Seriously though, check out the seed pool on this message board. The choice is (relatively) limited but I’ve had superb results from this source. I cannot recommend it highly enough. For example, I have a pot of Lophophora seedlings that must have 50 or more seedlings in it, from a FREE packet. I’ve also got almost ten different species of Turbinicarpus and several Fraileas. This year there are lots of Mamms.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by el48tel »

Phil_SK wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:26 pm
el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 pm if the seeds are lingering unused in a "bank" they could be put to some use.
They don't linger for long as they're used to form part of the welcome pack for new members. I know that the membership secretary pretty much used up all of the seeds available from the previous year's seed list in this way by late 2018.
Have you considered exploring one of the commercial sources of seed?
Yes - discovered MesaGarden before the BCSS last summer
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I don't think my post could be seen as a recommendation for Amazon!!