Hooray and thanks!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hooray and thanks!

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I don't think Stuart needs seeds as he has his own nursery if you don't already know
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Anybody else received seeds lately? It makes me wonder just what this new fairer system that Topsy mentioned actually is, that wasn't first come first served. Ian T argued the system hasn't changed. All I would appreciate is something in the way of understanding.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

ragamala wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:34 pm Anybody else received seeds lately? It makes me wonder just what this new fairer system that Topsy mentioned actually is, that wasn't first come first served. Ian T argued the system hasn't changed. All I would appreciate is something in the way of understanding.
Still waiting, but my heart rate and blood pressure indicate a very relaxed state :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Me too, Tony, but I would just like to understand what the "new" fulfillment system is. Officials seem reticent. Transparency is the issue.
Geri88
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Geri88 »

ragamala wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:34 pm Anybody else received seeds lately? It makes me wonder just what this new fairer system that Topsy mentioned actually is, that wasn't first come first served. Ian T argued the system hasn't changed. All I would appreciate is something in the way of understanding.
Don't worry, I haven't received mine either (I ordered mid-December). It's my first time, I assumed it would take at least a month (or two).
All things small and not (too) spiny.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Hi Geri, mine is really an enquiry, not a complaint.

But I am very curious as to what the new system of order fulfillment is, if it is not now first come first served. This is prompted by the fact my order was sent 12th Dec by 1st class post, and in theory should have arrived at the same time or before the two who sparked off the discussion had their orders in. Also today there is a new thread saying another couple received their order a week ago and are already - good for them - experiencing germination.

Naturally, my order could have been lost in the post in either direction, in which case I just write off £20 (having paid by postal order, I have no chequebook and there is no recompense for a lost P.O.). Or an alternative reason for non-receipt there is some - as was suggested by two society officials - a system which was intended to be fairer. There was no explanation of how this worked. And still is none, which is a tad frustrating.

Yours, puzzled. And hoping someone can at least explain the fulfillment procedure.

Alan
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

ragamala wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 pm Me too, Tony, but I would just like to understand what the "new" fulfillment system is. Officials seem reticent. Transparency is the issue.
In the past, seed was sent out soon after the first orders were received but would occasionally get lost in the pre-Christmas post flurry. My understanding is that the new system involves waiting until the new year before sending out any seed. I assume orders are still processed in order of receipt.
2018 AGM minutes wrote:However, this year he had decided to send out some orders between the Xmas and New Year breaks which proved to not be a good idea as some of those orders went astray in the postal system, never to be seen again. Therefore, this year no orders would be posted to members until after the New Year break to avoid them being caught up in the Xmas backlog.
Although the wording on the front of the order form hasn't changed, they're getting stricter with people ordering large numbers of packets of the same item where this is likely to stop others from receiving any.
BoT minutes for meeting 26th May 18 wrote:It was agreed that seeds of individual species be restricted to three per person, but that sets of 20 could be unrestricted, provided that the Seed Distributor can ensure that the choicest seeds that run out quickly are not included in the sets.
I agree that there's an issue of transparency - these meeting minutes need to be more readily available to all members rather than just branch secretaries and officials. When the new website arrives......
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:49 pm
ragamala wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 pm Me too, Tony, but I would just like to understand what the "new" fulfillment system is. Officials seem reticent. Transparency is the issue.
In the past, seed was sent out soon after the first orders were received but would occasionally get lost in the pre-Christmas post flurry. My understanding is that the new system involves waiting until the new year before sending out any seed. I assume orders are still processed in order of receipt.
2018 AGM minutes wrote:However, this year he had decided to send out some orders between the Xmas and New Year breaks which proved to not be a good idea as some of those orders went astray in the postal system, never to be seen again. Therefore, this year no orders would be posted to members until after the New Year break to avoid them being caught up in the Xmas backlog.
Although the wording on the front of the order form hasn't changed, they're getting stricter with people ordering large numbers of packets of the same item where this is likely to stop others from receiving any.
BoT minutes for meeting 26th May 18 wrote:It was agreed that seeds of individual species be restricted to three per person, but that sets of 20 could be unrestricted, provided that the Seed Distributor can ensure that the choicest seeds that run out quickly are not included in the sets.
I agree that there's an issue of transparency - these meeting minutes need to be more readily available to all members rather than just branch secretaries and officials. When the new website arrives......
Many thanks Phil for that, which answers my question well, if your assumption is correct. There was no big change in fulfillment procedure. In which case I shall assume my order got lost, no big deal. Now I can rest easy, just accept. These things happen. I never asked for more than one packet per species, I didn't realise ever that was a fair thing to do.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Not so hooray as yet for me, I am afraid. It has been a month and a day since sending the order and 12 days since the cheque cleared, but still no sign of seeds. I note that on the order form we are being asked not to make inquiries until 28 days passes after sending the order. Is there any other way of doing it apart from writing a letter to Peter Lewis? Perhaps an email address?

Maciej
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

MaciejW wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:06 pm Not so hooray as yet for me, I am afraid. It has been a month and a day since sending the order and 12 days since the cheque cleared, but still no sign of seeds. I note that on the order form we are being asked not to make inquiries until 28 days passes after sending the order. Is there any other way of doing it apart from writing a letter to Peter Lewis? Perhaps an email address?

Maciej
On the Contacts page: http://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/contacts.html
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)