Epiphyllum anguliger question - newbie

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
stingray
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Epiphyllum anguliger question - newbie

Post by stingray »

I know it was probably a silly thing to do, but i bought a plant off eBay, sold as one epiphyllum anguliger in a 9cm pot, from a commercial grower.

It wasn't looking hopeful when it arrived at work and left a trail of compost across the floor, before i'd opened the parcel. The compost is bone dry, hopefully because it's cold it means the plant hasn't been watered. When it arrived it was just below freezing outside. Some of the stem has gone very wrinkled and lost all turgidity. I have 2 other epiphyllum, from somewhere else. These looked quite different on arrival, so i shook the compost off the base of the plant, and it was clear it was 3 plants put close together to look like 1.

On the plus side, I have 3 plants to experiment with and try and get conditions right.

I have orchid compost (bark stuff), cacti compost ( doesn't drain well so i need to find something to mix into it) and fired clay balls - a bit bigger than the cat litter version. And some 8cm pots. Would anyone be able to advise on if mixing these and reporting separately would be ok? The garden centre might have perlite, but its a dangerous place as orchids in need of rescuing accidentally fall into my basket and it's getting hard to hide any more.

Also, I'm worried about the lack of turgur. I have a SW facing windowsill which is quite warm, up to 23 C, or a NE facing room with no heating. Where would be best for the next month or two, until its safe to start watering more? The plants on the SW windows are mainly epiphytic and get small amounts of water every few weeks in the warmer spots, or nothing in the cooler spots.

I hope the photos show the wrinkles ok!

Thank you to anyone who can help. And i won't be ordering from this place again, lesson learned
Attachments
20190104_201752.jpg
20190104_201949.jpg
20190104_201814.jpg
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Epiphyllum anguliger question - newbie

Post by ralphrmartin »

Mine is in "ordinary" cactus compost. I'd just pot them up, keep them in the house, put them in a non-south-facing window, and hopefully they will recover and get going.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I grow these plants much colder than Stingray. For years I kept them in my general collection that goes down to about 5c. Now I have a warm greenhouse, they bask in 10c.
I’d not be at all worried receiving a slightly less hydrated plant at this time of year, in fact I’d be more worried if it were in full flush.
I think you’re being a bit hard on the supplier perhaps. Wait and see.....just don’t give it too much water too soon.
stingray
Registered Guest

Post by stingray »

:) thank you for reassuring me they would be OK

I was more cross about not getting what i had ordered, and concerned that i might do the wrong thing and kill them. If anything else arrives a bit shrivelly, i shant worry too much