Greenhouse heater recommendation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Greenhouse heater recommendation

Post by MikeDom »

Never mind checking if the powers on, I've invested in a smoke alarm.

This is what the burning plug did to the socket.
IMG_4898.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MikeDom wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 pm Never mind checking if the powers on, I've invested in a smoke alarm.

This is what the burning plug did to the socket.

IMG_4898.JPG
OOOOOOHHHH --- nasty!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by JohnE »

or fairy lights look quite nice too :wink:.
Indeed they do, but they don't switch themselves on/off at dusk and dawn. Also, depending on where you live and the layout of your garden, they may draw unwanted attention to your greenhouse.

If buying one of the nightlights be careful to get one with a UK three pin plug fitting. The first one I bought was described as "UK LED Automatic Night Light Plug in Wall Lamp with USB Dusk to Dawn Sensor Lamp", but it didn't have a three pin plug. Instead it had two pins and needed a shaver plug to plug it into (which didn't work as the nightlight was "front heavy" and kept falling out).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

UK LED Automatic Night Light Plug in Wall Lamp with USB Dusk to Dawn Sensor Lamp"
Ooh didn't know they did them, I do have some battery powered fairy lights that have a built in timer, all these new gadgets :roll: .
Where did you buy yours from please?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official

Post by JohnE »

Tina wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 pm
UK LED Automatic Night Light Plug in Wall Lamp with USB Dusk to Dawn Sensor Lamp"
Ooh didn't know they did them, I do have some battery powered fairy lights that have a built in timer, all these new gadgets :roll: .
eBay, search for LED nightlight, but be careful about the plug type. Most on there now seem to be three pin, that wasn't the case before Christmas when I bought mine. Mine was £2.88 including postage for a white light.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Check the reviews - I have just looked at some on Amazon and some have exploded or got very hot with similar pictures to the burnt plugs/sockets in this thread.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I have three of these in my greenhouses and have never hit a problem yet. I keep a spare capillary thermostat just in case.....
However, I run my heaters on the 1000w setting, so they draw less current perhaps. If your greenhouse is 13x10 or smaller and insulated, you will do fine at 1000w. That’s the size of my Alton cedar and this is set to ca 8c. I have a 12x8 aluminium set to ca 5 and an 8x6 aluminium set to ca 12c. My heaters will be on heat for more hours than if set to 3000w, but will draw less peak current and still maintain the temperature just fine.
I know this doesn’t make up for what sounds like poor plugs, but it might be a tip that saves you replacing your heater.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm I have three of these in my greenhouses and have never hit a problem yet. I keep a spare capillary thermostat just in case.....
However, I run my heaters on the 1000w setting, so they draw less current perhaps. If your greenhouse is 13x10 or smaller and insulated, you will do fine at 1000w. That’s the size of my Alton cedar and this is set to ca 8c. I have a 12x8 aluminium set to ca 5 and an 8x6 aluminium set to ca 12c. My heaters will be on heat for more hours than if set to 3000w, but will draw less peak current and still maintain the temperature just fine.
I know this doesn’t make up for what sounds like poor plugs, but it might be a tip that saves you replacing your heater.
Thanks for the advice, I think there must be something further wrong with the heater as I went into the greenhouse before work to find the heater had turned itself off (assume due to overheating or possibly fan not working) - didn't have time to mess about with it. Luckily temperature had only fallen to 4.5 Deg C so not as much damage as could have been but still bad enough and only time will tell. It's going back for a replacement. Was all working fine until the plug started to overheat.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official

Post by JohnE »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:26 pm
Check the reviews - I have just looked at some on Amazon and some have exploded or got very hot with similar pictures to the burnt plugs/sockets in this thread.
I can't find the same type on Amazon. Mine has worked perfectly so far. I must say, I'm surprised if they get very hot - they draw 0.6w so it certainly isn't a problem with high amperage, it would take 5000 of them plugged in simultaneously to draw the same as a 3kW heater!

s-l500.png
s-l500.png (186.97 KiB) Viewed 1948 times