Greenhouse heater recommendation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Greenhouse heater recommendation

Post by MikeDom »

So I went into the greenhouse to a smell of burning plastic today. The greenhouse heater was working but the plug is extremely hot and has melted around the fuse.
71Y0r5ichtL__SY355_.jpg
71Y0r5ichtL__SY355_.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
It is a Biogreen PHX 2.8/GB Phoenix Electric Fan Heater 1.0/ 1.8 /2.8KW which has failed 9 months since purchased.
IMG_4899.JPG
Indications show that this has started to go wrong and is drawing more power than it can cope with hence the overheating of the plug. Whilst I can return it for a refund |(the shop I bought it from no longer sell it so replacement isn't an option), is there a better one that people can recommend? I can replace the plug but likely that won't solve the problem. It does have the correct fuse fitted. Don't want to have the same problem again.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Re: Greenhouse heater recommendation

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I could be wrong, but that looks like the signs of a poor connection at the left end of the fuse.
If the heater were drawing more power, the fuse would blow.
Change the plug before you change the heater.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Could be, the trouble is it is a moulded plug so replacing it will invalidate the warranty or at least mean no refund if it doesn't fix the problem. The plug has been in the socket for 9 months so doesn't get removed, I would have though a loose connection would have manifested itself by now, but I'm not discounting it.

More worrying are these recent reviews on Amazon with what looks like almost identical problems.
fire1.jpg
fire2.jpg
Can anybody suggest a reliable alternative?
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

I agree with Ciderman, this type of 'soft' moulded plug is usually the problem, particularly when a large current is being used over a long period. When your heater is operating at 2.8kW, then it is drawing >11A of current, so is not surprising the plug gets warm and even melts after continued use. I would use a quality 'hard plastic' plug as the heater is probably intrinsically sound.
See this link for lots of similar issues and comments:
https://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/mes ... adid=50127
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by ragamala »

My 2dworth.... I think Mike you should go with your instinct, get the heater refunded and look for something else. If a heater comes fitted with an iffy plug it doesn't say much for the overall quality control, and I would not countenance taking a chance of losing my warranty. Those Bio Green Phoenix aren't cheap. I am sure you could buy a decent 3kw heater much cheaper.... Or even consider a 1kw + 2kw option. Let's hope someone comes up with an alternative recommendation. What's the rated capacity of your greenhouse supply?
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I agree with Tony and Cinderman, those soft plugs cannot stand the heat caused by the current. I had a problem myself last winter and initially I blamed the heater, but on investigation found that the plug was actually at fault. I changed it and have had no further problems. But mine was an older heater, so no warranty involved. Unfortunately you have rather a dilemma.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by el48tel »

My 2p worth

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

has "hard plastic" plug

my greenhouse supply is 13A (because I designed it!)

the heater is 10A; switchable 1kW / 2kW / fan only and seems so far to heat my 2m x 2m greenhouse easily on the 1kW setting via an InkBird (which itself is only rated to 10.8A
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Ok, looks like the plug may have been faulty and replacing it with a top quality plug may solve your problem, however there are a couple of other things you could try.

Can you run the heater at 1.8Kw? Reducing the current.

Get an electrician to install an industrial 16A 230V socket and plug for the heater. This gives you a larger safety margin for the heater current. Running any electrical connector up to 90% of it's rating really isn't advisable. I'm surprised they sell it like that. The plug is bound to fail if run for long periods.

16A setup.
Attachments
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (10.53 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Thanks for all the advice. I had an e-chat with the returns people who confirmed that it wouldn't invalidate the warranty if I changed the plug. Working OK and not overheating the plug at 2.8K in the same way as before. I think I upped it to 2.8K a couple of weeks ago due to colder than usual weather.

Will run it on 1.8K from now on with an additional 1K backup heater if needed. Don't know why they provide 2.8K if you can't run it continuously for any length of time.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

agavedave
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by agavedave »

I Cant see any ASTA os BS1363 marking on that plug. Tell the supplier that you are sending it to trading standards for inspection and see what their response is.a

If you get no joy you could go out and buy a BS1363 plug and rewire it, but be prepared to trim back some wire if it has been damaged by heat conduction.

Also make sure that the fuse has the ASTA marking on it.

On something working close to the limit I wouldn't use anything else but a MK branded plug

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK0646.html

Best regards Dave