guess who

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
colser
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: guess who

Post by colser »

Thank you very much for all the pointers Astro.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I've found that Lithops seed generally germinates slowly and erratically until around January or February after the capsules are ripe. After that, they germinate quickly and fairly completely within about 2 weeks, provided the temperatures are sensible. Before that, some expert growers have described ways to force good germination but I've not managed it. So I sow now at a temperature I know works, and have good-sized seedlings to go out at the end of winter.
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Astro »

iann wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 pm I've found that Lithops seed generally germinates slowly and erratically until around January or February after the capsules are ripe. After that, they germinate quickly and fairly completely within about 2 weeks, provided the temperatures are sensible. Before that, some expert growers have described ways to force good germination but I've not managed it. So I sow now at a temperature I know works, and have good-sized seedlings to go out at the end of winter.
What Iann said. I don't usually sow Lithops seed until the Fall after I buy them, so they're more than a year old and the 'too fresh' problem doesn't present itself. Same for seeds from my own plants, I try to wait at least 6 months after harvesting before planting them. In the pictures above, only the L. dorotheae are from seed less than a year old (6 months). They germinated better than expected, actually.