guess who

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

guess who

Post by Astro »

I start my mesemb seeds early (Nov-Dec), so by now they're starting to look a little more distinct. Some are definitely easier to identify than others at this stage. Who is who?

In the pictures are 5 lithops (dorotheae, meyeri 'Hammeruby', viridis, aucampiae, localis/terricolor), and 5 non-Lithops :). Anyone care to try and match names and pictures? (some pictures have two species since I usually plant two per pot)

#1 and #2
Mystery_1_2.jpg
Mystery_3.jpg
Mystery_4.jpg
#5 and #6 maybe not the best pair to grow in one pot...
Mystery_5_6.jpg
Mystery_7.jpg
#8 a little crowded
Mystery_8.jpg
#9 and #10
Mystery_9_10.jpg
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: guess who

Post by Aiko »

Three looks like Diplosoma.
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by SpikyMike »

No idea - but I love the colours of #10!
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

5/6 Nananthus, maybe?
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

#1 L. dorotheae
#2 Hammeruby
#7 L. viridis
#9 L. localis
#10 L. aucampiae

Is this like that game where you find out how many you got right, but in the wrong order?
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

iann wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:46 pm #1 L. dorotheae
#2 Hammeruby
#7 L. viridis
#9 L. localis
#10 L. aucampiae

Is this like that game where you find out how many you got right, but in the wrong order?
Close, just swap dorotheae (#9) and localis (#1). L. viridis (#7) always has a blush on the sides for me and is easy enough to pick out (perhaps more challenging in a picture).

#3 is indeed Diplosoma luckhoffi.

Some hints: in the remainder there are Vanheerdea, Dinteranthus, Aloinopsis and Lapidaria.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Aloinopsis is obvious. Dinteranthus are presumably the tiny ones, Lapidaria the ones that look like Lithops, and Vanheerdea the ones I thought might be Gibbaeums,

Shame about the Lithops. I did wonder about the two I got mixed up. L. viridis seedlings sometimes blush all over, but it never amounts to much as they mature.
viridis-0716.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

#1 L. localis 'Green Sandpoort'
#2 'Hammeruby'
#3 Diplosoma luckhoffii
#4 Vanheerdea primosii
#5 Lapidaria margaretae
#6 Aloinopsis rubrolineata
#7 L. viridis
#8 Dinteranthus vanzylii
#9 L. dorotheae
#10 L. aucampiae

I had poor success with an earlier attempt at the Dinteranthus, so I went a bit overboard when I tried again (this time with more success). Luckily even a single seed pod contains a ridiculous number of seeds :)
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser »

Looking good Astro. Appreciate you sharing. I’d be interested in hearing about your technique, especially for the Dinteranthus.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

Lithops I sow in baggies in late Fall in a light box. Night time temperatures around 5-10C and day time around 20C. I take them out of the baggies a week or two after germination peters out and leave them in the box for the rest of Winter.

In my experience Dinteranthus like it a bit warmer for germination so I sowed mine in September, also in a baggie. Temperature maybe 10-15C at night and 25-30C during the day. It takes quite a bit longer for them to sprout (1-2 weeks for Lithops, but 2-4 weeks for Dinteranthus).

I have had some bad experiences with things getting too warm during the germination process (when I sowed in March, nothing much came up - things may have gotten too hot in April).

It may be preferable to start off warmer and have decreasing temperatures (as in Fall) rather than start off cooler and increase temperatures (as in Spring). I noticed that new seedlings kept coming up even 6-7 weeks after sowing (in November), when temperatures were more like the ones I mentioned for Lithops.

Growing them through the winter also seems to give them the opportunity to bulk up and change leaves into a more robust form without being stressed too much in our (California) summer.