Cacti & Succulent Outdoor Raised Bed Project

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnthonyT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

Cacti & Succulent Outdoor Raised Bed Project

Post by AnthonyT »

In Spring 2018 i created a Small raised bed in the garden, approx 1.5mtr long X 1mtr wide.

Ultimately i want to keep as many plants outside all year as possible, with protection from excessive winter wet but not from the cold!

Aspect is South facing fortunately and i filled the bed with a mixture of old topsoil, sharp sand and copious gravel, I filled the bottom couple of inches with a layer of coarse gravel before the rest of the mix went in. I bought some rocks/slate to add a bit of structure and interest.

So this is what i started with, a mixture of plants i already had in pots, some Sempervivums, a small growing Agave, 2 different Opuntia, Lampranthus, Echeveria, Delosperma, Pachyphytum, Aloe aristata and a couple of Aloe Vera!
I'd bought some of these a few years ago, specifically because they were supposedly cold hardy, and they have lived outside happily since. Overwintering in a self built cold frame, that has a hinged top and removable front panel for the summer months, so that maximum light and sun falls on all the plants.

I took a picture after adding a few plants, but completely forgot to take one after finishing unfortunately!

RaisedBed1.JPG
RaisedBed3.JPG

The following pics were taken around the end of September, and everything has done rather well!
During the really hot weather we had, i watered once a week or so, other times rain fall has been adequate to keep everything plump and growing.

RaisedBed4.JPG
RaisedBed5.JPG
RaisedBed6.JPG
RaisedBed9.JPG
RaisedBed10.JPG
RaisedBed11.JPG
RaisedBed12.JPG
RaisedBed13.JPG

The pink Delosperma at the front of the bed was cut back by about a third or so three times or it would of completely taken over!

This below pic was taken today 8th January, and everything is alive and healthy under the winter cover.
The ends are open for ample air flow, but I have some heavy duty fleece and thick bamboo canes, that i can position at the ends for if the weather happens to be particularly wet for days on end, or snow is forecast.
We've had a couple of frosty mornings, but the only damage has been a few brown ends on the Aloe Vera, which to be honest i was expecting to of turned to mush by now anyway!
The soil gets damp/wet at either end when it rains heavy and/or its windy, but the middle remains completely dry, I purposely positioned the plants that wouldn't enjoy this towards the middle for this reason.

RaisedBed14.JPG
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cacti & Succulent Outdoor Raised Bed Project

Post by Tina »

Looks very nice, is that an aagve utahensis or ?.
You need to track donw some more winter hardy cacti I have one outside but can't think of the name ATM.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Fab stuff. Looks really happy - lets hope we have a mild one this year! What sort of plants are you hoping to try in there, beyond those you already have? More succulents? More cacti? For example, those opuntias will start to take over soon if you let them - O. fragilis and it's cvs/hybrids are more compact and flowersome and so would be worth seeking out.

Whatever you choose to grow you will be spoilt for choice, though! Having the rain cover opens up so many possibilities. Loads of echinocereus, echinopsis, soehrensias, gymnocalycium... plus all manner of small agave/aloe - there are even dwarf yucca. Loads of echeveria. For a change in texture there are lots of xeric ferns that would do well in such a bed. The easiest one to source is Cheilanthes tomentosa. Some terrestrial bromeliads - the smaller ones like Dyckia - would also enjoy those conditions.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

oh thanks for sharing, its fabulous! We want to grow more succulents outside. Hopefully some that can stand rainfall without needing to be covered all winter. Our soil is well drained but we have added a deep layer of horticultural grit / gravel, approx 4-5mm size to a depth of around five to six inches but we have another bag to double the depth.

Please keep updating us.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

A very interesting project Anthony and it looks great, plants have done really well.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
AnthonyT
BCSS Member

Post by AnthonyT »

Tina wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:53 pm Looks very nice, is that an aagve utahensis or ?.
I believe its a agave utahensis nevadensis, i also bought a agave utahensis eborispina at the time (Spring 2015), but it gave up the ghost after 18 months!
AnthonyT
BCSS Member

Post by AnthonyT »

Paul in Essex wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm Fab stuff. Looks really happy - lets hope we have a mild one this year! What sort of plants are you hoping to try in there, beyond those you already have? More succulents? More cacti? For example, those opuntias will start to take over soon if you let them - O. fragilis and it's cvs/hybrids are more compact and flowersome and so would be worth seeking out.

Indeed, for now, if the Opuntias continue to thrive i will have to remove pads as required to restrict their spread and then maybe think about planting them out in the main garden instead!

Paul in Essex wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pmWhatever you choose to grow you will be spoilt for choice, though! Having the rain cover opens up so many possibilities. Loads of echinocereus, echinopsis, soehrensias, gymnocalycium... plus all manner of small agave/aloe - there are even dwarf yucca. Loads of echeveria. For a change in texture there are lots of xeric ferns that would do well in such a bed. The easiest one to source is Cheilanthes tomentosa. Some terrestrial bromeliads - the smaller ones like Dyckia - would also enjoy those conditions.

Yes, more Cactus is definitely the main goal, but i may be moving this year, so for now new editions are on hold, at least ones actually planted out, ones in pots.... maybe one or two! :wink:

I read something just the other day about hardy Bromeliads, which i was totally unaware of, so something i would like to attempt as well in the near future :smile:
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Anthony, I made an outside bed last year but due to the late spring snow and cold not much survived. I live in the North-West where it is cold and damp at the best of times in winter, so no surprise that not much survived. A Delosperma I plant DID survive and continued to grow during the summer and is still looking good. I have tried again this year and will wait and see.
With regard to the bromeliad, I have Fascicularia bicolor and that is hardy, I have had it for years. I have some if you wish. PM me if you are interested
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

AnthonyT wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 pm I read something just the other day about hardy Bromeliads, which i was totally unaware of, so something i would like to attempt as well in the near future :smile:
If it was in the Essex Succulent Review then it would have been my article. :smile:

Liz is right, Fascicularia bicolor ssp canaliculata is extremely hardy. But it would take up one end of your raised bed in a couple of years as it gets pretty big.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Looks great!

Is that a concrete base you have it sitting on?