Cacti & Succulent Outdoor Raised Bed Project

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnthonyT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Cacti & Succulent Outdoor Raised Bed Project

Post by AnthonyT »

Paul in Essex wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 amIf it was in the Essex Succulent Review then it would have been my article. :smile:

Liz is right, Fascicularia bicolor ssp canaliculata is extremely hardy. But it would take up one end of your raised bed in a couple of years as it gets pretty big.
It was, looks to be some excellent reading to be getting on with (tu) :razz:

Most examples do look rather large after a quick Google search! would like to try it, not in the raised bed though!
Last edited by AnthonyT on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnthonyT
BCSS Member

Post by AnthonyT »

habanerocat wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 am Looks great!

Is that a concrete base you have it sitting on?
No, its several bits of concrete edging laid side on, mainly as a solid base for just under the timber's to stop it 1. any uneven movement/sinking and 2.hopefully to reduce to a minimum any rotting (tu)
AnthonyT
BCSS Member

Post by AnthonyT »

Liz M wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 amWith regard to the bromeliad, I have Fascicularia bicolor and that is hardy, I have had it for years. I have some if you wish. PM me if you are interested
PM'd (tu)
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Be careful which bromeliads you choose, these are taking over the seafront in Falmouth (the lamp post gives you a good feel for the scale :grin: ).
In any case Fascicularia bicolor ssp canaliculata is so tough you probably wont need to cover it unless you get a very cold winter.
Attachments
WP_20161029_10_51_51_Pro.jpg
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You indicated that you put a layer of gravel in the bottom of your raised bed. The theory is that any change of medium within a container constitutes a barrier to free drainage, hence we no longer put a load of crocks in the bottom of pots. I wonder what peoples' experience of this is? Is the theory correct in practice?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am You indicated that you put a layer of gravel in the bottom of your raised bed. The theory is that any change of medium within a container constitutes a barrier to free drainage, hence we no longer put a load of crocks in the bottom of pots. I wonder what peoples' experience of this is? Is the theory correct in practice?
There's a good youtube video (somewhere..) that demonstrates the significant barrier to drainage at changes of medium.

In practise, this can be mitigated by mixing the media at the boundary, so there is never a sharp transition.
I often put crocks (or rocks) at the base of the pot (e.g. if the drainage hole is massive, to weight the bottom of the pot for top-heavy plants, or to reduce the amount of compost needed for small plants in fairly large pots). If I do this, I will always put the crocks/rocks at the base of the pot in, rather than underneath, the potting soil, so there is never a layer where the potting medium abruptly stops.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Ali Baba wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:11 pm Be careful which bromeliads you choose, these are taking over the seafront in Falmouth (the lamp post gives you a good feel for the scale :grin: ).
In any case Fascicularia bicolor ssp canaliculata is so tough you probably wont need to cover it unless you get a very cold winter.
We have had some Fascicularia bicolor in a salt glazed horse trough in a tub in our back garden for over a decade. It has never been covered. Last year my husband took it apart and split it into many plants. There must have been well over twenty plants. They all rooted. We put two or three back in the tub and gave the rest away at a plant swap.
AnthonyT
BCSS Member

Post by AnthonyT »

So, today's windy/blustery weather has taken it's toll on the raised bed cover.

As you can see from the photo's the plastic poles are just too flexible in the face of strong wind's, 5 of the 6 have snapped near the base where there is most stress.
A couple had broken previously when it's been a bit windy but today was exceptional!

I had zip tied a stout bamboo cane along the horizontal top pole, and this helps considerable in stopping the middle poles crushing inwards, which is what happened previously when poles broke.

To be fair they are designed for use with netting or fleece, but today has certainly highlighted the limitations, I'll suffer it for now as i have plenty of spares, but rigid metal poles for next winter me think's! :???:

This first pic, a lull in the wind
IMG_0611x.jpg
IMG_0629x.jpg
IMG_0632x.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Looks like the top is doing a 'work out', the bed does look nice and something I should have, more for the list
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Bad luck! It's certainly been a very wet and windy day here in the south, you did well to brave the elements to take photos. Hopefully the plants are OK and you can do a few repairs tomorrow.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias