Time for a name change?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Time for a name change?

Post by Chez2 »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm
Chez2 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 am I keep a few cacti but succulents are my main focus. Cactus world does seem very dated but the word 'journal' makes me think it may be a bit 'dry', something a bit too detailed for the average hobby plant keeper. I do read technical books from cover to cover but the word journal would still make me think twice.

When doing a re brand a lot of companies use something quite catchy so its memorable and a talking point. I'm not always a fan of this myself but I have noticed the younger generation who have recently taken up the hobby use their plants in a more playful way. They make designs and fairy gardens with their collections. The pots are often shaped like animals or are brightly coloured. If it was just for cactus and appealing to the younger generation I might have suggested 'Spike' as a name for the publication. I'm struggling for something to include cacti and succulents that strikes a balance.
Rebranding --- an excuse for a PR/Marketing company to make a large sum of money out of the Society (and the last large sum spent on the IT system seems not to have come to fruition). the new name will be catchy and take us into the 20s, when ............. another re-brand will be required to take us the next decade!
I never stated paying a PR company to rebrand. Some branding will stand the test of time, some doesn't.

We have run our own business for ten years. Our logo and website were looking a bit dated so we did a bit of a re brand. We did it ourselves. We only paid a print company to print new business cards, flyers, promotional gifts etc and a web designer to put our new style website together. We have had compliments from employees / potential customers of large corporate companies about our branding.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Never said that you did!

All I did indicate is that re-brand costs money ... and for many professional organisations like the BCSS who employ a pro branding team ......
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

To some people 2006 might seem like ages ago....”oh so last century!” 🤔....almost.
I wasn’t really in favour of the name change the first time round. I have got plants sown before that that haven’t even thought of flowering yet! so surely it’s a little early to start changing names again!
The first thing I learned when growing cacti and succulents was patience.....when you take up growing c&s you are in it for the long haul so why lose faith in the title so soon?

Anyway, just to play along and my main reason for posting.....
How about......

SucculentWorld. One word!

It’s kind of catchy in a naughties way and encompasses all our favoured plants 😉
...apart from maybe desert growing bromeliads and some winter growing bulbs 🤔

If that is not future looking enough how about.....
FatPlants one word 😉

Or is this too politically incorrect 😜
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

BrianMc wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:00 pm ......

SucculentWorld. One word!

It’s kind of catchy in a naughties way and encompasses all our favoured plants 😉
...apart from maybe desert growing bromeliads and some winter growing bulbs 🤔

If that is not future looking enough how about.....
FatPlants one word 😉

Or is this too politically incorrect 😜
Love #1
#2 might be a touch close to non-PC
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

When I was reading all the previous posts on this subject, I thought SucculentWorld! Then another think produced SucculentsWorld. Only a small difference but it may make the reader think, 'Is there more than one succulent or type of succulent?' It means succulents and cacti to those who know and a query to those who don't.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

I can't see any point in calling it anything to do with succulents. If the idea is to give the title more gravitas as originally proposed - presumably with a view to attracting more readers (via membership), the title should be relevant to what the public in general knows. And that means cactus because that's the word that worldwide is known and if you lose that word you lose significance. Whilst respecting the good work that succulent growers do - and accepting that cacti are succulent plants - if the purpose of the journal is to entertain and inform us but also arouse the interest of non-members, it must contain that premium word. If however, the journal's just there for us, what's the point of all this gravitas stuff, let's just call it ' Al's quarterly update'.

And it has to be acknowledged that what we term as succulent plants (excepting cacti) are not on their own in nature. There are many other types of succulent plants, therefore the title could be construed as misleading. Of course, other journals in other countries have adopted the succulent title for their journals but I for one, see only disadvantage for us here.

As it is, I've not seen a better title as yet and in order to give succour to those who've had long sleepless nights worrying about journal titles, perhaps we should leave things as they are.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Or go down the British medical journal route and use BCSSJ....
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

In for apenny....

CactuSphere
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

JaneO wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 am In for apenny....

CactuSphere
https://kcdesign.london/fabric-1/cactusphere-fabric
RogerF
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by RogerF »

+1 for SucculentsWorld