Time for a name change?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Time for a name change?

Post by Chez2 »

el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm Never said that you did!

All I did indicate is that re-brand costs money ... and for many professional organisations like the BCSS who employ a pro branding team ......
That's not a very nice comment. It comes across as though you are insinuating we aren't a professional company, that I don't have a clue about sales, marketing and running a business. We are a professional company; VAT registered, limited; providing consultancy and other professional services to large corporate companies. I have chartered status and we have ISO 9001. I would call that a professional organisation. I'm only trying to help, I wasn't looking for an argument.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Chez2
It was not a value loaded comment.
It was a statement of fact ... rebranding = cost. Regardless of who attempts it.
I have no knowledge of your business processes and practice. It would be foul play to comment on how you brand.
It was a statement of opinion that the BCSS would look to external agencies.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:44 pm
No - you said "or many professional organisations like the BCSS who employ a pro branding team".

You stated this as fact not opinion.

The BCSS is not a professional organisation. Whether it has employed a pro branding team I have no idea. IMO that would have been wasted money..

Like I say with CactusWorld. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have been accused several times for negativity recently, but really I have to say if that complaint can be upheld I am not the only one. What some folk here do not understand is that debate does indeed give rise to differing opinions. and should and must be tolerated in a "forum".

If rules are broken there are moderators.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Wouldn't it be lovely if we were all pleasant, constructive and not snippy...? I am wondering if all fora are so contentious and depressing. People have a go at Facebook but I haven't seen half so much bickering on the plant groups there as I have here.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by SpikyMike »

conolady wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm Wouldn't it be lovely if we were all pleasant, constructive and not snippy...? I am wondering if all fora are so contentious and depressing. People have a go at Facebook but I haven't seen half so much bickering on the plant groups there as I have here.
Well said 👍😊
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

conolady wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm Wouldn't it be lovely if we were all pleasant, constructive and not snippy...? I am wondering if all fora are so contentious and depressing. People have a go at Facebook but I haven't seen half so much bickering on the plant groups there as I have here.
I quite agree with you. It seems to me that this Forum is going through a bad patch and personally I am tired of it. The vast majority here just want to talk about their plants in a friendly courteous way. Having a difference of opinion should be quite possible without unpleasantness.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

WELL SAID (yes i'm shouting loudly)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

ragamala wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:26 pm
No - you said "or many professional organisations like the BCSS who employ a pro branding team".

The BCSS is not a professional organisation. Whether it has employed a pro branding team I have no idea. IMO that would have been wasted money..

Like I say with CactusWorld. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have been accused several times for negativity recently, but really I have to say if that complaint can be upheld I am not the only one. What some folk here do not understand is that debate does indeed give rise to differing opinions. and should and must be tolerated in a "forum".

RE-BRAND COSTS MONEY! (Yes I'm shouting)
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

el48tel wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Everything in business costs money. You have to move with the times or get left behind and die. You need to keep up or be ahead of the curve, be constantly evolving. That is the reason so many well established businesses have gone to the wall. I presume this is all taken in to consideration and discussed at the AGM meetings so will be expected and accounted for as part of the overheads of running the charity. These threats and opportunities, sales and marketing are something successful businesses discuss on a regular basis.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Chez2 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 am
el48tel wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Everything in business costs money. You have to move with the times or get left behind and die. You need to keep up or be ahead of the curve, be constantly evolving. That is the reason so many well established businesses have gone to the wall. I presume this is all taken in to consideration and discussed at the AGM meetings so will be expected and accounted for as part of the overheads of running the charity. These threats and opportunities, sales and marketing are something successful businesses discuss on a regular basis.
Agreed ... that's why we are a "Society" with elected officers and charitable status.
But ....
A £3000 (not unreasonable a sum) fee for work done, could put an extra £1 on subscription rates. Not a large figure but taken with the other thread in which you have shown a large interest and involvement, namely that of increasing membership numbers, this does not sit well.