Time for a name change?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Time for a name change?

Post by Bill »

Enough, this was a discussion about Journal name, no need for petty bickering but for what its worth the society could if it chose to do so employ a reasonably priced rebranding person without impinging on membership fees.

The society is doing OK, we are working to make make it better than OK
  • We have a chairman who is really keen to drive things forward and ensure the society is fit for next generation of growers but still meets the needs of us old fogies.

Membership is on the up after many years of decline.

The new website is close to completion, we just need to iron out some database issues, which is in hand

Planning for CactusWorld live at Lullingstone Castle is well underway

Our social media team is doing excellent work in promoting the society

We are open to new ideas, but we need to hear them
Bill Hildyard

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Lucky I didn’t mention the logo.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Mike P wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:51 pm Lucky I didn’t mention the logo.
All things are under consideration.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Sorry Bill I was referencing that Monty Python sketch about the dirty fork......
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Did someone say logo? logo for comments on Facebook
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Well said, Bill. Enough with the bickering and on with the growing and talking about plants...
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by JohnE »

Returning this thread to what it started out about - the name "CactusWorld" - here are my thoughts.

When the name "CactusWorld" was proposed as a replacement for the "British Cactus and Succulent Journal" I was opposed to the idea as being unnecessary. I also suggested that using the word cactus, rather than succulent was inaccurate.

The logic behind the use of the word cactus was that most people outside of the society didn't know the difference and tended to refer to all succulents as being cacti. I couldn't fault that logic, anyone who has spent time on branch sales stalls - as I have - will know that to be true. Hence the use of a word that would draw the attention of members of the general public. This only really matters if copies of the publication are being made available in places other than BCSS events, which was what was intended at the time.

Apart from a few individuals leaving their old copies in waiting rooms, etc., that doesn't really seem to have happened (unless anyone knows otherwise?), so I would agree that SucculentWorld would be a more appropriate title. However, at the end of the day it's just a name and, regardless of whether it is done in-house or via a paid external company, there would be knock-on effects in terms of cost and work for the society's volunteers. I therefore favour retaining the current name (unless maybe one of the proponents of a name change would like to volunteer for the vacant role of Marketing Officer?).

Instead we should thank Al and his team for producing what is probably the best succulent society journal in the world and leave the BoT to get on with more pressing matters such as bringing the long-awaited new website online and sorting out how the society is best structured to meet the current legal accounting requirements without affecting the benefits provided to branches.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Thanks for your comments John.

I have been reading all these comments and will use them to weigh up what the general feeling is regarding keeping the current name or changing it to something else. So far I haven't heard anything that is short, modern and snappy enough which encompasses both cacti and succulents. But maybe such a thing doesn't exist or has already been used before.

I will also talk to people face to face over the coming year so that I can get a better view of different opinions.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Al
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by SpikyMike »

For me? I like the name CactusWorld. 😊
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire