Just repotted  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Just repotted

Post by el48tel »

ragamala wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:31 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 pm may just bin my entire collection and take up crochet.
You could get hooked on crochet.
:???:
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 pm Simple answer, repotting doesn't affect dormancy. Oddly, I looked at cactus books on Amazon last night and there were three different books on crocheting cacti on the first two pages.

Stuart
Ta muchly for a speedy reply
addressing #2, first, --- wife has books on similar and knitting similar so might not need the expense of Amazon or Waterstones

addressing #1 ---- So I could start to repot a substantial amount of my newly acquired (but some from old collections) collection which is in old compost, rubbish (being polite) compost; or just outgrown its current container as long as (1) I am careful, and (2) I don't water afterwards. As a rider to this question, therefore, what about offsets? Can those be detached from mummy and placed on dry compost after they've calloused over? Several of the large oldies acquired, have offsets by the score.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Just repotted  Solved

Post by Herts Mike »

I have always repotted when I have spare time which is invariably in winter.

Repot away eltel!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

P.S. did you mean crochet or cricket?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Incidentally, I mean repotting cacti Aloes, Agaves etc. If it were Stapeliads I wouldn't touch them until they have started growing in spring.
LHMBB
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by LHMBB »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 pm "el48tel" is shortly to change his "handle" to "puzzled in Leeds" --- so can anyone answer simply and concisely the question from this newbie?
I thought you left catci and succulents alone for the winter(apart from a few winter growers and a few oddballs which folk keep throwing into the discussion). To me that (=dormancy) means no water; minimal heat; etc
So how does "re-potting" in January (at least 60 days from the equinox) equate with dormancy? Answers please before 22h00 if possible because at that time I may just bin my entire collection and take up crochet.
I always ensure the potting compost is completely dried out if I do it in winter
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Leave taking and rooting offsets until the weather warms up - March April time but - taking off lots of offsets means taking up much more room so don't unless there's a reason.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm P.S. did you mean crochet or cricket?
:lol:
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 pm I have always repotted when I have spare time which is invariably in winter.

Repot away eltel!
sounds like tomorrow is sorted!
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 pm Incidentally, I mean repotting cacti Aloes, Agaves etc. If it were Stapeliads I wouldn't touch them until they have started growing in spring.
don't have any Stapeliads - so no problem