Just repotted  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Just repotted

Post by juster »

Lovely plants Mike, repotting is always a nice satisfying task.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

How many years between repotting for the Aztekium Mike? Mine has been in the same pot for 20 years or more and grows steadily. I’ve always shied away from disturbing it. It looks a little older than yours, I got it about 40 years ago and it must have been 20+ then.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Probably about 5 years between repotting.

That is an old one though. Picture?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

With your obregonia, do you find it quite thirsty ?, also they seem to go yellow/pale coloured if they aren't repotted often enough or is it just mine & bad parenting.

The Echinocactus texensis is beautiful, it's one i have tried growing a few times but have given up now, I can't even remember seeing any for sale in the last few years.
Any growing tips for it ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Benign neglect and a clay pot for texensis has worked so far.

Obegonia is on the same watering regime as Ariocarpus, Pelecyphora, Aztekium etc.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Echinocactus texensi
so how many years have you been neglecting it for ??, I was very attentive to my plant- maybe why it died it didn't like the fuss.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

First repot in 9 years. Hopefully it won't be the kiss of death.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

"el48tel" is shortly to change his "handle" to "puzzled in Leeds" --- so can anyone answer simply and concisely the question from this newbie?
I thought you left catci and succulents alone for the winter(apart from a few winter growers and a few oddballs which folk keep throwing into the discussion). To me that (=dormancy) means no water; minimal heat; etc
So how does "re-potting" in January (at least 60 days from the equinox) equate with dormancy? Answers please before 22h00 if possible because at that time I may just bin my entire collection and take up crochet.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 pm may just bin my entire collection and take up crochet.
You could get hooked on crochet.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Simple answer, repotting doesn't affect dormancy. Oddly, I looked at cactus books on Amazon last night and there were three different books on crocheting cacti on the first two pages.

Stuart