Germination begins

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: Germination begins

Post by ragamala »

Tina wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 pm and if the seed people quit because of your repetitive selfish moaning where will we be, you are one person making a silly amount of fuss why should anyone jump for you :duh: .

I thought rant over would mean you shut up about this :ban: , Don't you have any interesting plant related talk that we might actually want to read.
Like your emoticons. That really enhances your argument.

OK so here are a couple of pics from today of two of my plants. If you can identify the species I promise to leave the forum and maybe the society forever. Now there's an incentive for you. Are you up to it?
m1.jpg

m2.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Ian,
Just been busy sowing my Lithops and cono seeds, I haven't grown these before and only have a few tough lithops and cono in my collection, cono's all courtesy of Terry last year.

At the moment they are on the kitchen window would they benefit from the propagator lid on until they germinate or at night when its cooler?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Tina wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm Hi Ian,
Just been busy sowing my Lithops and cono seeds, I haven't grown these before and only have a few tough lithops and cono in my collection, cono's all courtesy of Terry last year.

At the moment they are on the kitchen window would they benefit from the propagator lid on until they germinate or at night when its cooler?.
I start just like cactus seeds, 100% humidity until germination. I also keep them enclosed for a few weeks afterwards as this helps them to bulk up faster but you don't have to and it can make it harder for the first true leaves to get through big fast seed leaves. They will do fine in the open at any time after germination. They are happy with cool nights, very unlikely any house will be too cool even next to a window. Overall, germination shouldn't be difficult unless your temperatures are much too high and ridiculously cold.

Don't expect them to come up very quickly, but it shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks. I've sown some of my own seed and some from the BCSS list, I'll keep track of which come up when.
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

iann wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:45 pm
Tina wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm Hi Ian,

I start just like cactus seeds, 100% humidity until germination. I also keep them enclosed for a few weeks afterwards as this helps them to bulk up faster but you don't have to and it can make it harder for the first true leaves to get through big fast seed leaves. They will do fine in the open at any time after germination. They are happy with cool nights, very unlikely any house will be too cool even next to a window. Overall, germination shouldn't be difficult unless your temperatures are much too high and ridiculously cold.

Don't expect them to come up very quickly, but it shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks. I've sown some of my own seed and some from the BCSS list, I'll keep track of which come up when.
I'm intrigued by some of your comments here (sorry - newbie) - so a question or three ...........
1. Do you set Lithops NOW rather than, say at the vernal equinox?
2. What do you mean by, "......unless your temperatures are much too high and ridiculously cold ........"?
3. I understand "100% humidity until germination" but I assume from the comment "keep them enclosed for a few weeks" you use a polythene bag or similar?
4. (yes counting is not my strong suit) "They will do fine in the open at any time after germination. They are happy with cool nights, very unlikely any house will be too cool even next to a window." Does this mean on the windowsill? greenhouse at 5C night-time temps? or what?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

1. Yes, I start most Lithops now. I like them to be as big as possible before summer, and I like them to get their first true leaves by summer. Starting earlier isn't good for a variety of reasons, seed not available, germination not good, etc. Starting later than early Feb hasn't worked well for me. Starting at other times of year gives me less reliable germination (probably unpredictable temperatures) and needs more attention to grow on to a safe size.
2. 40C, not good, 20C at night probably too warm. Below freezing, different set of problems. Germination is certainly possible in a wide range of conditions but I get best results at what a cactus grower might think of as quite cool temperatures.
3. Cling film over the top of the pot, simple and easy to see through. Lithops seedlings should not be tall, although it is fun to see how well they can do when they occasionally touch the plastic and are bathed in water 24/7.
4. 5C at night is fine, but so is 10C. Even 15C seems to work well enough, but probably depends on day temperatures. I aim for a day temperature of 15C - 20C for germination, but heating effects from even lights or January sun might actually make it warmer. Cooler will give slower germination, hotter can inhibit germination. There are reports of good germination at very high temperatures, but my trials didn't give any germination until after the very high temperatures went away.
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

iann wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:51 pm 1. Yes, I start most Lithops now. I like them to be as big as possible before summer, and I like them to get their first true leaves by summer. Starting earlier isn't good for a variety of reasons, seed not available, germination not good, etc. Starting later than early Feb hasn't worked well for me. Starting at other times of year gives me less reliable germination (probably unpredictable temperatures) and needs more attention to grow on to a safe size.
2. 40C, not good, 20C at night probably too warm. Below freezing, different set of problems. Germination is certainly possible in a wide range of conditions but I get best results at what a cactus grower might think of as quite cool temperatures.
3. Cling film over the top of the pot, simple and easy to see through. Lithops seedlings should not be tall, although it is fun to see how well they can do when they occasionally touch the plastic and are bathed in water 24/7.
4. 5C at night is fine, but so is 10C. Even 15C seems to work well enough, but probably depends on day temperatures. I aim for a day temperature of 15C - 20C for germination, but heating effects from even lights or January sun might actually make it warmer. Cooler will give slower germination, hotter can inhibit germination. There are reports of good germination at very high temperatures, but my trials didn't give any germination until after the very high temperatures went away.
Thanks
I think you may guess what one of my tasks tomorrow might be .....
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I personally leave sowing Lithops seeds until the vernal equinox, a temperature day/night swing of around 15 - 25 C is good for them. Seed of Conophytum and other winter-growers was sown on New Year's day in a propagator that goes from about 8 - 20C if the sun shines. Cono bachelorum x chrisocruxum germinated in three days and all except some C. pellucidum in 14 days. In the past, I have used a bedroom windowsill for conos and it worked well; temperature during the daytime was about 20C, perhaps falling to 12C overnight with the central heating off. No additional heat is required under these conditions. High humidity is needed until the seeds germinate (perhaps for 2 or 3 weeks) and then good airflow around them. The propagator has a front that is opened up after that time and the window sill sowings used to have petri dishes over the top of them (similar idea to the cling film).
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

After all that talk, several of my Lithops pots have sprouts today, seven days after being sown. As a bonus, a L. optica plant opened a flower, and some 'Rubra' shouldn't be far behind if the sun ever comes out.
Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I must admit when you mentioned 3 weeks I gulped as I couldn't keep em in the kitchen that long without grumblings or threats of car/motorbike parts coming into the kitchen too :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

OK so a fortnight on and no germination. Daytime temps around 15C and nighttime 10C to 15C.
Will the seeds suffer being in contact with the compost for 14 days?
They are in "baggies".
I've moved them into a heated propagator but with no lid and standing in the greenhouse at minimum temperature of 5C but the propagator base is at about 20C
Is this sufficient?