Germination begins

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Germination begins

Post by iann »

My first BCSS seeds are coming up, less than a week after they were sown. Not what I would have expected, Stomatium pyrodorum. It might turn out to have been a mistake to sow these now, I suspect they're going to etiolate. Hopefully they won't get too far before the sun god returns.
Cheshire, UK
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Germination begins

Post by esp »

S. pyrodorum only took 3 days to sprout for me last year, the joint quickest of everything I sowed last year, tied for first place with some Thelocactus and Echinocereus.

This year, I've had Gymnocalyciums and Austrocactus sprout within the week, but that's all so far.
Kees
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Kees »

iann wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:20 pm My first BCSS seeds are coming up, less than a week after they were sown. Not what I would have expected, Stomatium pyrodorum. It might turn out to have been a mistake to sow these now, I suspect they're going to etiolate. Hopefully they won't get too far before the sun god returns.
Why not use a grow lamp?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Kees wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 pm
iann wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:20 pm My first BCSS seeds are coming up, less than a week after they were sown. Not what I would have expected, Stomatium pyrodorum. It might turn out to have been a mistake to sow these now, I suspect they're going to etiolate. Hopefully they won't get too far before the sun god returns.
Why not use a grow lamp?
I do, but in many ways they just make things worse. They're not as bright as direct sun and they add more heat. Stomatiums aren't like cactus seedlings, the adults will etiolate even on the top shelf of a greenhouse in summer.
Cheshire, UK
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

LED grow lights add very little heat. My first sowings this winter were made in November and the seedlings are definitely not etiolated. They are all cacti though.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

We have had some germinate after only a week too. We have had really good germination rate from some, others have yet to appear.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

And others are still waiting despite sending in their orders immediately on receipt of the Journal ;-)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

ragamala wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 pm And others are still waiting despite sending in their orders immediately on receipt of the Journal ;-)
Luckily there are still other seed sellers willing to send you seeds. Although some of them are sold out already. But some still have to update their list. I am waiting for http://cactus-zhiv.com/ to update the list, and Mesa Garden should be updating their list (and website) somewhere in early March.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Aiko wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 pm
ragamala wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 pm And others are still waiting despite sending in their orders immediately on receipt of the Journal ;-)
Luckily there are still other seed sellers willing to send you seeds. Although some of them are sold out already. But some still have to update their list. I am waiting for http://cactus-zhiv.com/ to update the list, and Mesa Garden should be updating their list (and website) somewhere in early March.
Hi Aiko

You are right. But this year it is a bit special re BCSS because of the lack of forthcoming MSG distribution. I am still at a loss as to why other folk have happily received their BCSS wishes, I haven't, and whether this is due to a change of distribution policy, or because of a loss in the post. Until someone has the courtesy to explain the distribution priority I can not say more. All I will remain a mite cross about is wasting £20 of postal order. I can live with not getting the seed.

But yes, you are right. There are many commercial sellers who respond promptly to orders, and of course may have a wider range on offer. Others who take time but still deal as far as we know with orders as received. Also their germination rates may be better than that of BCSS seed, which renders the cost per packet argument open to debate. As far as I know, all commercial operators (and even maybe Mamm Soc and previouslt MSG) respond to orders in first come first served. And what is wrong with that? It's time to chuck out old fashioned ideas and embrace a new reality. Asking for payment from UK folk by postal order or cheque is way out-of-date. This needs serious change.

End of rant.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

End of rant.
at last :woho:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.