Commiphora seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Commiphora seedlings

Post by MikeDom »

Hi Tina,

Very nice, the trimming suits them well, and agree with watering the "succulent" trees during winter, in fact I don't ever let mine dry out as succulents would although the watering is more to keep the soil damp rather than saturated. I do the same for my Bombax even though it is leafless during winter, most other trees retain their leaves. Once they lose their roots during the dormant period it can be difficult to get them going and rot becomes more likely. Can I ask, do you trim the roots as well as the stems? I will train my Bursera as bonsai, the first stage of which will be to reduce the tap root to encourage production of smaller side roots, once the plants have a few proper leaves. They will then be repotted into an oversize pot to encourage growth and heavily watered right from the time they are repotted, no need for the cut roots to heal over.

In the meantime, 2 of the smallest companion Commiphora have perished, a little bit as expected, I suspect they made the ultimate sacrifice to allow the larger plants to grow without competition. I haven't had time to repot the other plants yet, but I will have to this weekend as the other companions are growing at the same rate as their siblings. Some of these will be subjected to the bonsai treatment as well. It's good to be able to combine 2 hobbies together.

Always on the lookout for seed if there's some going. :wink:
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike,
Not on a regular basis unless they are getting to long and need a light trim. They have been a bit underpotted for a while so this year should see some better growth.
Yes you are welcome to some bursera fagaroides seed, I'm sure we can organise a swap as we like similar plants
I do have a few commiphora lepto?? ( sorry memory playing up) that a friend gave me so can probably swap you one of those too.
At bonsai car boots you can get lovely pots for displaying your succulents in, they always look to small for tree's.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike
They are commiphora leptophloeos, quite special plants as they were a gift from Marlon Machado in 2011, native to Brazil.
Still youngish twigs but not too exciting looking as they are naked atm, they do have the nice peeling bark and lovely scented leaves
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Hi Tina,

Thank you, a swap would be fantastic, I'm sure we can sort something out when the plants and seeds are ready.

Incidentally, I picked up a boxful of bonsai pots (the very small ones; these ones were over 50 years old) at our Branch auction this month for very little money. The Conos display very well in them as they are nice and shallow.

PM me when you're ready and we'll have a chat about swapsies,
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).