Commiphora seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Commiphora seedlings

Post by MikeDom »

I sowed a batch of 5 Commiphora seeds and they all came up within 4 days at 28 Deg C. Each seedling has a companion much smaller than the main plant and one of them has 2 companions, I think you can just see them in the photos. The seedlings are 2 weeks old.

So technically I have 11 plants from 5 seeds, as the little companions have their own roots. Will the companions develop differently to the main seedling and would you separate them or grow them together, as I assume in nature they would be found growing alongside each other? Presumably the companions would be better suited to bonsai? Commiphora is new for me, but seems to germinate quite readily.

Ignore the bending towards the light, they were on the edge of the fluorescent lights and are now directly under them.
IMG_4923.JPG
IMG_4922.JPG
IMG_4921.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Commiphora seedlings

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike
Very nice,Leave them alone until they are older and have woody stems. I wonder if they are a clumping form its certainly interesting that they are multi headed, what commiphora are they ?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Hi Tina,

Thanks, they are C. humbertii. I know nothing about them really, any information would be useful in general on growing Commiphora.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Are these succulents? Interested as new to exploring non-Cactaceae succulents
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
kohinoor
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by kohinoor »

It;s call polyembryony

in side the seed there is multiple embryony.
the biggest embryo is the standard normal embryo from fertilized egg.

the other smaller embryo are Adventive embryo.These embryo are in fact small Adventive bud grow from inside of seed.they will have the same gene composition as mother plant.

in this way the seed will carry 2 embryo with 2 gene composition. one is the clone of mother plant the other is the combine of mother and father plant.
in the wild they will compete with each other and the best one survive.

polyembryony are more common in fruit. Such as citrus and mango .
the only 2 case in succulent i can think of is Commiphora and Bursera

Opuntia also have polyembryony.

you will need to separate them once they are big enough.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

SpikyMike wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm Are these succulents? Interested as new to exploring non-Cactaceae succulents
Not really succulents, trees and shrubs with swollen stems.

They are very easy to grow from seed, Koehres has a good selection if you want to try them.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

kohinoor wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:59 am It;s call polyembryony

in side the seed there is multiple embryony.
the biggest embryo is the standard normal embryo from fertilized egg.

the other smaller embryo are Adventive embryo.These embryo are in fact small Adventive bud grow from inside of seed.they will have the same gene composition as mother plant.

in this way the seed will carry 2 embryo with 2 gene composition. one is the clone of mother plant the other is the combine of mother and father plant.
in the wild they will compete with each other and the best one survive.

polyembryony are more common in fruit. Such as citrus and mango .
the only 2 case in succulent i can think of is Commiphora and Bursera

Opuntia also have polyembryony.

you will need to separate them once they are big enough.
Very interesting Kohinoor.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Thank you Kohinoor, that was very informative. Further research shows that one of the seedlings in each seed will be dominant (as can be seen in the photos) and the others will struggle to grow alongside, so separation within the next few weeks looks like the best option. These came from Cactus Aventures together with Bursera Fagaroides, the latter which only had one plant per seed, but which I had to transplant and found one of the tiny plants had a 4.5 inch tap root. Hopefully that won't be the case for these Coomiphora, otherwise separation will be difficult.

Nick - I was eyeing up the selection in Koehres last night, and they do add an interesting dimension to succulent cultivation. Wish the seed wasn't so expensive though ...
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Yes thanks. ]kohinoor, that's very interesting to know

So they really are seperate seedlings. Maybe keep them labelled with dominant or other, it could be interesting to see what ft here is difference in growth.
I have a few bursera fagaroides, one with seed I'll take some photos in the week, once the seed is fully mature it goes bright orange from dull green.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike
Here is my bursera fagaroides and some seed, the main plant I have been growing for 10 years, I trim it and sometimes the cuttings root.
During winter I continue to give some water, my thinking was as its a tree/scrub it needs water all year.

bursera fagaroides 11_18.jpg
This is a rooted cutting that produces seed ,its odd as the parent does not flower or produce seed.
bursera fagaroides seed 12_18.jpg
Attachments
bursera fagaroides seeds11_18.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK