Cultivation snippets wanted for CactusWorld

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cultivation snippets wanted for CactusWorld

Post by MikeDom »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 pm Don't repot Stapeliads until they have started growing in spring.
Interesting, mine seem to all be winter growers and have been responding well to being water all winter. But then my greenhouse setup is strange...
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

If you can keep the temperature up they may well grow but winter is the most vulnerable time and I leave well alone. Also light levels aren't great and I would prefer them to rest.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Mine grow in winter if I leave them in the 20C propagator, but then the growths become etiolated...I just use the propagator for Stapeliad cuttings now. They root well in damp Seramis or some such.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Christian »

Another general one if I may: good Forum advice in the past was that watering is no substitute for shading in certain summer conditions. Shading somehow goes against the grain when you think of cacti and succulent as plants adapted to heat and drought and intense sun... I used shade cloth for the first time last year over my cold frames, and the plants looked so much better for it. First time I got through late spring/early summer without too many losses to scorch.

And now I shall try that kitchen roll thing... :)
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
kohinoor
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by kohinoor »

Seed of Euphorbia explode when mature.
Use cotton ball or white glue to prevent this.

Cactus grows very slow, take picture diary to track how much she had grown.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Do not re pot Ariocarpus until the roots are bulging the plastic pot. Also place as near to the apex glass as possible.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Nick_G wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm OK I'll start.

Microwaveable take away containers, 3/4 filled with compost and lid tightly on, are excellent for cactus seed raising.
We do something similar to this but bought those clear plastic salad or bakery containers that supermarkets use. They let more light in and the lid is hinged.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

Chez2 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 am

Microwaveable take away containers, 3/4 filled with compost and lid tightly on, are excellent for cactus seed raising.
We do something similar to this but bought those clear plastic salad or bakery containers that supermarkets use. They let more light in and the lid is hinged.
Microwaveable containers are better imho, because the compost can be placed in the container, then it can be microwaved for (say) 3 minutes, to ensure compost, container and lid are sterilised. Plus the lid seals tightly.
Other plastics may melt if microwaved with damp compost. A slightly translucent lid is fine.
I generally use slightly smaller puchased rectangular containers, of 200-250ml, they are ideal for about 50 seeds.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

A use for unwanted PLASTIC knitting needles - use as supports for Opuntia during winter - flagging for a drink but not allowed by humans lest they rot
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

esp wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Chez2 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 am

Microwaveable containers are better imho, because the compost can be placed in the container, then it can be microwaved for (say) 3 minutes, to ensure compost, container and lid are sterilised. Plus the lid seals tightly.
Other plastics may melt if microwaved with damp compost. A slightly translucent lid is fine.
I generally use slightly smaller puchased rectangular containers, of 200-250ml, they are ideal for about 50 seeds.
You can microwave in another container. The lids seal very well, as well as those other containers. These are new food grade containers in sealed packs. We prepare virtually all our food from scratch, hence having to buy containers. As an experiment we have not sterilised all our compost to see if there is any difference.