Cultivation snippets wanted for CactusWorld

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Cultivation snippets wanted for CactusWorld

Post by Herts Mike »

Aiko wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm
Christian wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Herts Mike wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am Use kitchen roll over drainage holes rather than gravel or crocks.
Clever! :!: :idea:
This is one where more context would be suited. I always put pebbles in the bottom of small pots (pots with seedlings when they need watering I soak them in a layer of water, the pebbles help prevent the soil for not washing out the pots when I take the pots out). No kitchen paper will be helpful after the first soak...
Yes it will. Try it.
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

I second the kitchen roll advice. Much easier than gravel. It rots away but not for a while. And when it does rot away, the soil will be set enough to stay in the pot.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

KarlR wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:42 am I second the kitchen roll advice. Much easier than gravel. It rots away but not for a while. And when it does rot away, the soil will be set enough to stay in the pot.
Indeed. And by then roots will have grown into it and it remains in place.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by AllanA »

I have been using kitchen roll over the holes for years now and as long as it is the cheapest it works well. It does not rot away after the first watering.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I agree with the kitchen roll comments. For most BEF pots I don't find that anything is needed, but for pots with larger drainage holes kitchen roll works really well - stops compost falling out, and lasts easily long enough that by then the soil holds together well.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Thank you for your support chaps!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

I use old newspapers rather than kitchen roll, the recycling option :smile:

Easy to tear into strips if you are using a number of pots the same size e.g. at seed sowing time. Takes about a year to break down.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I did once read that damp paper attracted certain insects as it began to decompose .. as in small flies looking for a home for their eggs ... which is why paper should not be composted. A cosy home in the base of a plant pot or seed tray would seem similar.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 am I did once read that damp paper attracted certain insects as it began to decompose .. as in small flies looking for a home for their eggs ... which is why paper should not be composted. A cosy home in the base of a plant pot or seed tray would seem similar.
It's possible, though I've not noticed any flies or maggots whilst using paper in this way for the last 30 years. Possibly because I put the pots in to soak and drown them.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MikeDom wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 am I did once read that damp paper attracted certain insects as it began to decompose .. as in small flies looking for a home for their eggs ... which is why paper should not be composted. A cosy home in the base of a plant pot or seed tray would seem similar.
It's possible, though I've not noticed any flies or maggots whilst using paper in this way for the last 30 years. Possibly because I put the pots in to soak and drown them.
:lol:
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.