Which Huernia?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
conolady
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Which Huernia?

Post by conolady »

I bought this from Plant Life labelled H. sudanica. Which it appears doesn't exist. Doesn't look completely like H. sudanensis. I'm thinking H.mccoyi, now. Can anyone twist sideways sigh, and confirm/disagree, please? It's whiter than the photo and the lines are dark red.
image.jpeg
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Which Huernia?

Post by Herts Mike »

McCoyi looks most likely but I wouldn't rule out sudanensis.
Last edited by Herts Mike on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Thanks, Mike. Anyone else have a view?
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I have it too, and thought it should beH. sudanensis, but it does look very much like H. McCoyii
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Diane wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm I have it too, and thought it should beH. sudanensis, but it does look very much like H. McCoyii
I assume you've got mccoyi, because you kindly gave me a cutting, so maybe you could take pics of both and compare later? The tips of the flowers look exactly like the pic of mccoyi in Pilbeam's book: in sudanensis pics on the Net they look slightly different.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

rotated for you ...
file.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Oh, thank you! I wish I could have done that!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

The thing is that the Pilbeam book only shows one flower but if you look at Peter Bruyns book Stapeliads of Southern Africa and Madagscar, at Huernia thuretii for example there is a great range of different flower forms depending on where they are from.
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Herts Mike wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:24 pm The thing is that the Pilbeam book only shows one flower but if you look at Peter Bruyns book Stapeliads of Southern Africa and Madagscar, at Huernia thuretii for example there is a great range of different flower forms depending on where they are from.
I wish I had that book! What species do you think it is?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

It isn't in there. Sudanensis and mccoyii are outside the range of the book.

I still fancy sudanensis more likely.