Echeveria agavoides flowering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stevium
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Echeveria agavoides flowering

Post by Stevium »

Hello all,

My Echeveria agavoides is beginning to flower extremely early, well before my watering routine starts up again around March. Should I provide water to the plant now if it's already flowering, or wait until March as planned?

Additionally, why might it be flowering at this time of year? It's in a SW window in our living room, which sits between 16 and 21 degrees at different times of the day. None of my other plants in the same locale are flowering.
brianc
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Echeveria agavoides flowering

Post by brianc »

Hi Strvium
It is not too early for Echeverias to flower? I have E.Lauii flowering all winter,E. Agavoides has just
started to flower, i have a quite rare E. Phylis Collis that has flowered allwinter .
Several growers in my area tell me their plants are the same.
As for watering i would start at any time, i water my Echeverias lightly all winter.
I heat my Green house to about 40 degrees.
Stevium
Registered Guest
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by Stevium »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help. I was under the impression that springtime was the correct season for Echeveria flowers - is that not right?

40 degrees? Do they need such high temperatures?
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Mine usually starts flowering in late winter too. And continues to grow a stalk very slowly. Usually is not in bloom before it is back in the greenhouse again. Its winters it spends in an unheated dark room until late March.
aloedanielo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by aloedanielo »

Stevium - I'm guessing he meant 40 degrees F which is roughly 4 degrees C :wink:

The flowering could possibly be triggered by the high room temperature? I don't think your temps go low enough to encourage dormancy in your echeverias although light does play a part too. That fact that it is flowering definitely suggests its not dormant.

How do the leaves look? Does it look thirsty? At the moment my e. agovoides has slightly soft leaves as it uses up its water supply but they're not wrinkly yet. Photos would help massively :D
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

It's quite normal for E. agavoides to start showing a flower stem at this time of year, mine is showing the start of a flower, but due to the cool temp in the greenhouse, it will take a few months to develop, and I wouldn't expect to see the flowers until about March/April. As you are keeping yours in a warmer environment in the house, that has probably triggered it into growth, and maybe would benefit from very light watering.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!