Top dressing for succulents

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Top dressing for succulents

Post by D^L »

Great, thanks Peter. Do you have a reference for the UC Davis work you refer to? Would be great to read it.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
AnthonyT
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Top dressing for succulents

Post by AnthonyT »

D^L wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:42 pm I have always assumed that angular grit and "sharp sand" tend to pack with larger gaps round them than spheres do, but I don't know any experimemtal evidence that shows that; so if you turn some up Ralph, would be interesting.
It seems to me that any mix of aggregate that includes a finer sand and/or soil component tends to compact over time, wether it be angular or rounded gravel. It would appear, to me at least, that it's the quantity of finer dust/soil/sand that is the issue rather than the shape of the larger constituents. Quite how that insight relates to air gaps and plant roots, i don't know! :wink:

I have used both rounded gravel and more angular grits in mixes, and they both seem to compact pretty much equally over time, everything else being equal, if re-potting has been 'infrequent' :grin: