Greenhouse heating : Plan B

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Greenhouse heating : Plan B

Post by Ali Baba »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:09 pm
Ali Baba wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:53 am More importantly, what do other growers do to alert them of heater failure? Power cuts are rare around here, so heater failure is the most likely issue. So has anyone come up with a good alarm system for low temperatures?
I rigged up a system based on a temperature sensor and ESP8266 board (like an Arduino with built in wifi) all for a fiver, and it sends the data to my phone via an app called Blynk. (I have a wifi point in my greenhouse). I gave some details on how it works elsewhere in the forum, and am happy to share the design / code if anyone wants to reproduce it.
Yes, please share :grin: something to give to my teenage son for a project :lol:
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Greenhouse heating : Plan B

Post by Keith H »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm I have a couple of spare Parwin heaters here, and I think I have somewhere some spare heating coils or wire too (I seem to remember seeing a packet with it / them when I moved house).

If anyone is after the coils or a heatero, either for use or for cannibalising for spares, just get in touch.

One parwin has a replaced thermostat withe electronic display / controls.
Without stepping on the OP's toes, I could make use of some Parwin spares Ralph. Mine has been in use on and off for the last forty years, I must ask my Dad if it ever had any replacement elements next time we speak.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554