What’s done this...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rich45s
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

What’s done this...

Post by Rich45s »

Sorry for all the questions but I bought this on eBay a while back.

While I know the pot isn’t ideal it’s too nice a thing to go to waste so I’m using it however since getting it . 6 makes maths or so ago I guess it’s slow started to deteriorate with branches falling off (and then withering to nothing once off plant). Branches withering in the middle and falling off etc

I’ve given it various bug treatments which I probably shouldn’t have been standing so close to when I sprayed but even then I’m that much of a novice I can’t instantly diagnose and so treat problem. Some pics may help. The close up ones of the actual branch of plant should show the inside of branch is now hollow and papery almost like a cigar with most of its middle pulled out. Would just like to get it better if possible (hence the lovely shade of pink light it’s getting now

Thank you
Attachments
FD5DDAD0-3CF7-480A-9AE5-8C89EF3C6C83.jpeg
68D47BC2-B08B-4879-BEB9-F771B878D0EE.jpeg
C5C91FC4-D6D6-4C2C-B8BC-02EF3E17A2C4.jpeg
D9908D7B-AB47-48E5-BF47-D2DA30E5A50D.jpeg
BCSS Member 52305
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: What’s done this...

Post by Stuart »

Probably in a pot with no drainage, possibly wet during the winter months, looks like not enough sunlight. It's alive though, no sign of any bugs, try moving to a sunnier spot.

Stuart
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Stuart wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:43 pm Probably in a pot with no drainage, possibly wet during the winter months
Another possibility, with the description of hollowed out stems, would be vine weevil grubs...
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

If you want to use that pot for decorative reasons, put a plant in a normal plant pot inside it rather than planting directly in it.
This means you can empty excess water away after watering so it doesn't stand for long with "wet feet" (succulents hate this). It also means you don't have to destroy the pot or the plant's root ball when you repot.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

and also more light because this plant looks etiolated
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

In my experience this is just old age, I find the ordinary Crassula ovata will grow much bigger but these Gollum/hobbit varieties don't get much larger than your plant for me, then they start doing exactly what you describe.
Rich45s
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by Rich45s »

Sorry for late replies to this. Have had a stinker of a cold that’s seemed to last ages.

Thanks for suggestions. I’m preceding few weeks more branches have gone. Floppy then shrivelled up

And yes the pot is terrible for drainage I.e none. So I think today’s the day I take what’s left out, see what I can salvage and then try and find a lot that’ll fit inside this pot. Cheers
BCSS Member 52305