ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
simpleton
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

ID please

Post by simpleton »

Hi,

At the weekend I bought this. Only €33 which seemed good value as it's a big old thing. The spikes are around 10cm (4 inches) long and the whole thing stands around 40cm (over a foot) high. It was from a supermarket so there's no information about what it is. Any suggestions ?

Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: ID please

Post by Stuart »

Stetsonia Coryne at a guess.

Stuart
simpleton
Registered Guest

Post by simpleton »

That looks about right, doing a bit more digging on line. Yes it definitely looks like that.

It appears that it's not particularly cold hardy so I'll have to have it indoors over the winter.

Thanks
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Depends upon where in France you are. It would be fine in Nice, for example :)
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
simpleton
Registered Guest

Post by simpleton »

I'm over the other side - near Cognac. Unfortunately it can get too cold here - most winters we get to around -10c as a minimum on at least one night. I think the only places it would be OK are right on the coast of the Med (including as you say, Nice) and Corsica or very close to the Spanish border on the Atlantic side - around Biarritz / Bayonne. Everywhere else can get pretty cold weather even if just occasionally.