First time lithops grower question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stevium
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

First time lithops grower question

Post by Stevium »

Hello!

I have to apologise for the number of queries I've asked on the forums recently - it's only my second year growing and although I've learnt a lot, there's still so much I don't know.

I was given this pair of Lithops dorotheae a few months ago. They were a lot less tall when I got them, and there was no white mark on the top as you can see in one of the hemispheres. They've also had some sporadic water over winter - which I've recently learnt is a no-no.

Are they beyond saving?
Attachments
IMG_20190124_174628.jpg
jhb
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: First time lithops grower question

Post by jhb »

Your plant will be fine. When the new bodies come through your white mark will vanish when the old body dries up. I would suggest your plant needs more light.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

No problem with questions, ask away!
I agree with jhb, leave them dry and the leaf pairs you can see will dry up. This will take away the white mark.
If it is getting taller you need to think about the amount of light they get, perhaps they need more light.
Yes no water while this happens start again when the leaves are fully dried, probably late spring. I assume this is in the Northern Hemisphere from what you say :smile:
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Stevium
Registered Guest
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by Stevium »

Thanks for replies; lithops were in a South-west window but may have inadvertently been shaded by another plant.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Stevium wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:15 pm Thanks for replies; lithops were in a South-west window but may have inadvertently been shaded by another plant.
Even in full sun in a greenhouse, Lithops will stretch with a bit too much water or just when the summer is over. Northwest England really doesn't have enough sun for them, west Scotland even less. Indoors and you've at least halved the light. Just have to find the brightest spot you can and don't overwater them, especially as Autum wears on.

Just for reference, Lithops dorotheae is rarely green. In halfway decent light it will be yellow-brown with extremely strong red markings. I hunted down a photo where the bodies weren't covered by flowers. As wth all Lithops, there is much variation, but these are typical and I suspect yours would look much the same if they got enough sun.
dorotheae-0821.jpg
Cheshire, UK