Dioscorea elephantipes seeds?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
oriky
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Dioscorea elephantipes seeds?

Post by oriky »

Hi, im looking after seeds of dioscorea elephantipes, where can i find them? how long the seeds are viable? any tips for germinate those seeds?
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes seeds?

Post by Nick_G »

If Silverhill Seeds are still trading it would be nice to support them after the recent tragic events.

£2.25 a packet or £10 a hundred.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

oriky wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 pm Hi, im looking after seeds of dioscorea elephantipes, where can i find them? how long the seeds are viable? any tips for germinate those seeds?
I think the seeds don't have a particulary short life span. My experience is when they don't germinate, just retry them again a few months later. I have had some germinating after two years.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Koehres kakteen got it as well:
https://www.kaktus-koehres.de/shop/Succ ... b98189f5c4

I have number of my own seedlings with baggie method used and sown around April time. I tend to keep them closed until leaves start suffering from being in too humid environment. Then open the bag, but leave it in it. Until then the tuber should develop under the soil level enough to grow new shoots. From then I treat them as adults - plenty of water while they are growing. And I keep them in an open bag, eventually lowering it sides to pot level. I have noticed that it keeps the moisture longer which benefits them during the first year of growth. During first 12 - 18 months they will skip their normal resting period and will happily carry on growing.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

Succseed have them too, under Testudinaria http://www.succseed.com/en/seeds-succul ... tudinaria/
Normal conditions to germinate, warm and damp.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Nick_G wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm If Silverhill Seeds are still trading it would be nice to support them after the recent tragic events.
They have started adding new seeds again after an understandable break/re-adjustment. Some of the harder to get Othonna are back (after an 8 year absence) and some of the rarer Tylecodon varieties. My order went in last night.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

MikeDom wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 am
Nick_G wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm If Silverhill Seeds are still trading it would be nice to support them after the recent tragic events.
They have started adding new seeds again after an understandable break/re-adjustment. Some of the harder to get Othonna are back (after an 8 year absence) and some of the rarer Tylecodon varieties. My order went in last night.
I've just received confirmation of my order and advice that they have a 10-day backlog at the moment, in case anyone was looking to place an order.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).