That was a surprise

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

That was a surprise

Post by Nick_G »

I was having a close look at my Kedrostis africana this afternoon wondering why it hadn't shown any signs of growth yet when I caught a whiff of that unmistakeable cucumber smell of rotting cucurbit. I was amazed, I really thought it was indestructible. It was a self sown seedling that I dug up out of my greenhouse floor many years ago and had grown to about 9 inches across and a very pleasing (to me) shape. It's been frozen, subjected to drought and flood, had mealy bug and mites, totally neglected and over nurtured and has come through everything I could throw at it until now. I've no idea why it's rotted, I could probably save it but I don't really like cut up caudiciforms. I've got one of it's seedlings somewhere if I didn't give them all away so I can start again and maybe in another 20 years I'll have another that size.

Here's a photo of it in happier times and a few from today.
DSCN9966.JPG
DSCN1800.JPG
DSCN1800 (2).JPG

DSCN1801.JPG
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: That was a surprise

Post by MikeDom »

Such a shame Nick, but as you say, we often have no idea as to why this happens. It is edible apparently and is known by the common name of "Baboon's cucumber". Not sure I'd want to eat it though.

Shout if you want one of your spares back, they've just started growing.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Oh dear, that's a shame but good you have progeny from it.
save it I don't mind odd shaped plants I should do a photo of mine which had rot, is hollow now and had a vine growing thru from inside. I like it as its not the same as everyone else's but that's me :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

MikeDom wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Shout if you want one of your spares back, they've just started growing.
Thanks for the offer Mike but I've found one in a box under our bed. It's where I overwinter some plants, my wife's not impressed. I've also got some self sown seedlings growing in the greenhouse floor, the seeds get everywhere. I'll leave them for a few years before digging them up, they really put on good growth with a free root run.
BCSS no.33806

ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Did it freeze, perhaps? Or have say sciara fly maggots chewed the roots and let the rot in?
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

No, it's been kept above freezing all winter though in the past it's survived temperatures as low as -6C. Nor can I see any sciara fly maggots though I haven't delved too deeply.

Someone has offered to take it off me and try to save it so that's nice. They like odd shaped tubers.
BCSS no.33806

Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

It looks like some bug had it for a meal.
Have a close look at the contents of the hole with a loupe. I have had mites nibble at cactus cuttings. Without a loupe you won't see them.