Ed Storms/Mesemb Growing Periods

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Ed Storms/Mesemb Growing Periods

Post by ragamala »

I bought a second-hand copy a couple of years ago of the Ed Storms "new" Growing the Mesembs. Inside it was a photocopied double-sided page on info on growing periods.

Was this part of the book? Or is it an unrelated leftover from the previous owner?

Any comments on content welcome too...
storms007.jpg
storms006.jpg
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Ed Storms/Mesemb Growing Periods

Post by el48tel »

As a very very new convert to mesembs, I know nothing about their cultivation, so this table is a welcome resource.
THANK YOU!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

I don't have it in mine. Looks like a typical seventies or eighties print. A print from a private printer, not from a printing press.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

It's not in my copy of the book. It looks like a homemade guide gleaned from various publications, maybe MSG Bulletins, even someone's own observations. Like any such list, it's a useful guide for starting with mesembs, though I'd quarrel with some of watering periods for some genera. Observing your plants growing is the best guide, as ever.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

It is probably (possibly) a copy of the table produced by Eddy Harris many years ago, based on the table that appeared first in Haage's book Cacti and Succulents 1963, page 141.

I have Eddy's original somewhere, so I'll try to find it to compare.

Here is the Haage one:
Img_0618.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Well, I found (Eddy's) later version quite quickly, thanks to the excellent search function within Windows 10:
Mesembs - resting growing and flowering.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

conolady wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:20 pm ............... Like any such list, it's a useful guide for starting with mesembs, though I'd quarrel with some of watering periods for some genera. Observing your plants growing is the best guide, as ever.
Agreed ---- but for a first timer ---- a useful starting point
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Many thanks for the replies, and especially to Tony for the "original" adapted versions. That was pretty much as I expected re source not being Ed Storms. Interesting the little extras you sometimes get with second hand books!

I should have maybe done more. I have a copy of the Haage book, but it never occurred to me to search my own library.

Interestingly this has also a table of flowering times of Cacti. Maybe that would be of some interest - when I find a minute or two I'll scan that and post in a different thread.

My first growing of succulents was influenced by books such as this. It would be interesting perhaps to have a review of literature and journals from 50 years ago and compare with modern accepted "knowledge" on cultivation. But a big task.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I have a slightly different version of the chart obtained from Suzanne and have used it for several years.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch