Born to Die- Agave

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Born to Die- Agave

Post by D^L »

Do agaves come from root cuttings? Might be worth trying one on the "green" side.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'd use an extended Stanley type knife and quarter it once it has had some water in March/April. The meristem is too low take out the centre. Was it a natural offset or a microprop plant?

Stuart
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Do agaves come from root cuttings
No they don't.
Normal methods would be cutting in half/quarters or coring, I'm not that impressed with the coring method and routinely cut plants in half & you can also sometimes cut the top off, depends on the growth form and size of the agave. With luck you root the top and offsets grow from the base, if you are lucky you can remove them and if the roots are still vigorous enough you get another batch of offsets growing.

Stuart, its not from a tissue culture plant but an offset of my hyon zan white agaves.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by agavemad »

Tina. I would love to see pictures of your chopping in half/quarter method and the results. I have cored two agave, but only because they rotted. I am not sure I am brave enough to chop anything up but I am very interested in this method :)