Born to Die- Agave

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Born to Die- Agave

Post by Tina »

Here's an agave victoria reginae albo marginata that I have been growing on for a few years, I was hoping it would keep the whiter section but it looks like its now going soo white it will die as there is too little green/chlorophyll producing parts now, why do they do this :evil:.
WVR whiter pup 1_19.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Born to Die- Agave

Post by D^L »

I assumed this would just be a picture of a flower stem.☺
I notice one of the leaves has already given up the ghost. Are the variegated leaves shorter lived?
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

No it has been growing slowly but steadily, I'm not sure why the odd leaf died but the new leaves have no green on them so it's looking quite serious for its future or lack of one.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

I am sure it still has some time left to develop leaves with chlorophyll. Just as long as you have something (enough) with green left once the older ones die off.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Perhaps some nitrogen based feed?
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by daniel82 »

This is always frustrating, I have two variegated Mammillaria giselae from the same batch of seed. One is evenly variegated and growing very nicely but the other is in blocks. The second seems to be being overcome by the variegation as it grows. At least cacti can be grafted though.

Fingers crossed your agave starts behaving itself soon.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

How brave are you feeling, Tina?
One option is to core out the centre (which is only growing white leaves now) to encourage sideshoots/offsets from the main stem. Offsets from the axils of the partly green leaves may give a better pattern of variegation. Offsets from axils of all-white leaves will probably be all white, so non-viable as independent plants. You probably don't have anything to lose, in that it looks to be heading down the road of all-white plant therefore guaranteed fatal longer term.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Agree with MikeT, take the knife to it, I'm sure you're brave enough!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Oh, she is..
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions, NO I'm not afraid of cutting my agaves or other plants, sometimes its the only way to get some swap plants that are rare enough for anyone to give you a decent swap but I wouldn't normally bother with one this size.
Maybe I'll see how it does until late summer and then it might meet my scalpel :frown:
Tina

Bucks, UK