February eNews

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: February eNews

Post by ragamala »

Ian Thwaites wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:37 pm You need to find the option for "whitelist" (varies from provider to provider) and add the details into this option. This will override any inbuilt algorithm and tell the email system that you indeed want this message. This really should work.
Thanks Ian this is a positive and helpful suggestion - I shall await the outcome with interest. This will, I assume, only work until the sending email address is changed, however, which has happened in the past. But if the system is changing let's wait and see.

Best
Alan
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chez2 »

Thanks everyone. I don't think its an issue for anyone to check their spam folder. I would suggest checking it daily. I check mine several times per day to make sure something doesn't slip by. I think I'm subscribed now.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Chez2 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:55 pm Thanks everyone. I don't think its an issue for anyone to check their spam folder. I would suggest checking it daily. I check mine several times per day to make sure something doesn't slip by. I think I'm subscribed now.
Emails end up there for no reason sometimes, so I always check my spam folder as well. For some reason the calling notice for our Branch meeting next week ended up in spam this weekend, heaven only knows why.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Ian Thwaites wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:37 pm You need to find the option for "whitelist" (varies from provider to provider) and add the details into this option.
Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think it will work. I have looked for this option but could not find it so I tried the help option and found
While Virgin Media Mail works hard to deliver all legitimate mail to a user's inbox, it's possible that some legitimate messages may be marked as spam. Virgin Media Mail does not accept 'whitelisting' requests from bulk senders, and we can't guarantee that all of your messages will bypass our spam filters. To make sure our users receive all the mail they'd like to, we've provided them with a method for sending us feedback about messages flagged as spam - users have the option of clicking a 'Not spam' button for each message flagged by our spam filters. We listen to users' reports, and correct problems in order to provide them with the best user experience. As long as our users don't consider your mail as spam, you shouldn't have inbox delivery problems. There are two important factors that, under normal circumstances, help messages arrive in Virgin Media Mail users' inboxes:

The 'From:' address is listed in the user's Contacts list.
A user clicks 'Not Spam' to alert Virgin Media Mail that messages sent from that address are solicited.
Note that this is Virgin Media which is where sending address for eNews is as well as my own email provider

I normally use Outlook to look at emails but was accessing my email directly when looking for the whitelist option (already in safe sender list in Outlook and contacts). What I have done is add the eNews address into the address book of my email provider - will have to wait for the next issue to see if this helps. What will also have to wait until the next issue if what I have done fails is using the not spam option directly rather than from Outlook.
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Ian Thwaites »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 am
Ian Thwaites wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:37 pm You need to find the option for "whitelist" (varies from provider to provider) and add the details into this option.
Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think it will work. I have looked for this option but could not find it so I tried the help option and found
While Virgin Media Mail works hard to deliver all legitimate mail to a user's inbox, it's possible that some legitimate messages may be marked as spam. Virgin Media Mail does not accept 'whitelisting' requests from bulk senders, and we can't guarantee that all of your messages will bypass our spam filters. To make sure our users receive all the mail they'd like to, we've provided them with a method for sending us feedback about messages flagged as spam - users have the option of clicking a 'Not spam' button for each message flagged by our spam filters. We listen to users' reports, and correct problems in order to provide them with the best user experience. As long as our users don't consider your mail as spam, you shouldn't have inbox delivery problems. There are two important factors that, under normal circumstances, help messages arrive in Virgin Media Mail users' inboxes:

The 'From:' address is listed in the user's Contacts list.
A user clicks 'Not Spam' to alert Virgin Media Mail that messages sent from that address are solicited.
Note that this is Virgin Media which is where sending address for eNews is as well as my own email provider

I normally use Outlook to look at emails but was accessing my email directly when looking for the whitelist option (already in safe sender list in Outlook and contacts). What I have done is add the eNews address into the address book of my email provider - will have to wait for the next issue to see if this helps. What will also have to wait until the next issue if what I have done fails is using the not spam option directly rather than from Outlook.
Thanks Jim - as with most things in life its not always simple or standardised - this is very useful.

Its a shame when you try and add value to the membership that you end up with more work than you envisaged. We are working hard on this and will look at several solutions which include trying to get MailChimp to help us. In the meantime you can always read it on our website. The objective is to always send it out on the first friday of the month.

Yipee - its nearly spring in the greenhouse :-)
Ian Thwaites
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I agree with Ian Thwaites that we need to review our e-mail settings.
I've just spent a happy hour marking a humongous list as SPAM OR NOT --- so whilst not something I had on my schedule for today, it may make life more tolerable in that messages from potential Russian brides will not appear in my inbox.
With Regard to receipt of eNews ....... I will await the outcome of my digit on keyboard exercises when the month of March is upon us
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I had no problem in receiving the newsletter when it was sent from the account that was used up until autumn last year. When it was then sent out from the new account I stopped receiving them, so there is obviously some factor (goodness knows what!) in play at the distribution end. When I realised there was a problem, clicking "this is not spam" on my 365 server and also clicking the button for send to Microsoft, has resolved the problem and the last two issues of the Newsletter have come straight through to my PC.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 am I had no problem in receiving the newsletter when it was sent from the account that was used up until autumn last year. When it was then sent out from the new account I stopped receiving them, so there is obviously some factor (goodness knows what!) in play at the distribution end.
I had similar.

I suspect the reason is that the origin of the newsletter appears to be from a private account on a generic provider, but purports to come from an organisation in the subject heading.

If with reorganisation of web site etc emails come from a permanent BCSS email address, identifiable and checkable as eg .org, and offering no confiusion with personal accounts (I have no idea who s*****cude@blueyonder.co.uk might be and if I received an email from that source I might myself fail to open it and mark it as spam), then the problem may be solved permanently and save us all a lot of trouble.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Tony R wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:26 pm Seems like several of you need a better eMail Client.
Mine was in spam again. I use Gmail through my Chrome web browser, have the senders address in my contacts list. Not sure what else I can do. However, I noted that the email address said it was sent via "mailchimpapp.net", presumably some kind of bulk mailer. Maybe its this sender that is being seen by Gmail as risky. But its no big deal, as Gmail tells me when I have spam.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

ragamala wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm I suspect the reason is that the origin of the newsletter appears to be from a private account on a generic provider, but purports to come from an organisation in the subject heading.
To me, that sounds quite a likely possibility. It's a fairly standard format for phishing emails: Natwest Bank <f.bloggs42@hotmail.com> and probably one of the most basic things a filter looks for.
There may be a very good reason for it, but I wonder why the BCSS uses Mailchimp. It's managed to send out (to a smaller circulation) emails through BCSS Announce <bcss-announce@bcss.org.uk> for years... is it really too cumbersome to do something similar direct from eNews@bcss.org.uk or noreply@ ? Or can the old system only cope with plain text?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia